Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MrBogosity on October 06, 2014, 06:47:49 AM
ARRRRRRRGH...

[yt]lIFBz2t3Ov0[/yt]

Yes, it's been over a week, but I think I have something worthwhile to add here.

In the video, Jarrah cites a pair of Russian photographers, Elkhov and Konovalov, who did a recreation of the moon landing photos in 2012, in response to the Mythbusters' re-creation. Jarrah's own re-creation is of such low quality that it can be debunked by Elkhov and Konovalov, ironically.

I found an overview of their experiment (linked above), and I noticed that while nVidia took efforts to find the additional light source, Elkhov and Konovalov took efforts to remove it by making sure they dressed in all black while taking the photos. After taking another photo "[with Aldrin] illuminated from the camera position with a powerful source of diffuse light," (no, they don't show us this light) they conclude that there must've been a similar source of light from the camera position... but they don't make the connection to Armstrong's suit:

"The conclusion reached is unambiguous. NASA's photo is a fake. This picture cannot have been taken on the Moon but in a studio with a very strong additional source of illumination from near the camera."
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

Quote from: Travis Retriever on October 14, 2014, 10:52:35 PM

https://twitter.com/pari_passu/status/522149870375690240
Both from the same guy...

Ahhh I can't find that C4SS article that addressed this so nicely. 
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

>Some jack off sends threats to Anita Sarkeesian
>Automatically attributed to #GamerGate
>This actual threat is posted towards #GamerGate supporters:

Not a fucking peep.

Kotaku goes full retard.

Also, for those who don't want to give them clicks, I put the link through donotlink.com, so you won't give them the clicks they desperately want.

Quote from: D on October 15, 2014, 05:49:05 PM
Kotaku goes full retard.

Also, for those who don't want to give them clicks, I put the link through donotlink.com, so you won't give them the clicks they desperately want.

I have "rel='nofollow'" automatically added to all forum links, so it wouldn't have anyway.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 15, 2014, 06:25:07 PM
I have "rel='nofollow'" automatically added to all forum links, so it wouldn't have anyway.
That's good to know. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on October 14, 2014, 10:52:35 PM

https://twitter.com/pari_passu/status/522149870375690240
Both from the same guy...

Strange, this cite http://www.governing.com/gov-data/food-stamp-snap-benefits-enrollment-participation-totals-map.html, lists Mississippi as having the highest SNAP enrollment, as does the WSJ, so unless Oswalla, Kentucky is in Mississippi...

There's supposed to be an interactive chart on the page, where you can look at the individual states (and presumably see enrollment by county) but it didn't render for me, someone else might have better luck with a different browser.

Quote from: dallen68 on October 15, 2014, 07:10:35 PM
Strange, this cite http://www.governing.com/gov-data/food-stamp-snap-benefits-enrollment-participation-totals-map.html, lists Mississippi as having the highest SNAP enrollment, as does the WSJ, so unless Oswalla, Kentucky is in Mississippi...

There's supposed to be an interactive chart on the page, where you can look at the individual states (and presumably see enrollment by county) but it didn't render for me, someone else might have better luck with a different browser.

Owsley County could just be an outlier. If the rest of Kentucky were relatively low it could pull down the average.

I don't see how it has anything to do with anything anyway.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 15, 2014, 07:24:32 PM
Owsley County could just be an outlier. If the rest of Kentucky were relatively low it could pull down the average.

I don't see how it has anything to do with anything anyway.

I think the OP is trying to debunk the myth that the majority of SNAP beneficiaries are black and/or the myth that the majority of blacks are snap beneficiaries. I haven't seen any actual evidence one way or the other, until I do I'm presuming that the racial proportion of said recipients is going to be fairly close to the racial proportion of population.

Unless you were talking about what I said...

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on October 16, 2014, 02:24:38 AM

That goes into my "so bad it's actually funny" category...I swear, those kind of text/stories might as well be Poe's Law stuff at this point.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: D on October 17, 2014, 08:03:41 AM

They did more than bat an eye when I cursed in school :T and nothing at all when it came to prayer
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: ArtemisVale on October 17, 2014, 11:49:14 AM
They did more than bat an eye when I cursed in school :T and nothing at all when it came to prayer
I got after school dentition for saying, "this sucks."
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on October 17, 2014, 03:44:00 PM
I got after school dentition for saying, "this sucks."

I actually said fuck, but fuck O.o
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart