Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: D on August 09, 2014, 01:30:06 PMNot sure how many people follow The Legend of Korra, but I'm adding this recent arc as a Fail Quote.

The villains of this arc are the stereotype of anarchists who just want to bring chaos despite talking a good game of freedom and peace. In the latest episode, they just took down a queen and of course they set it up so that the people start rioting and looting to show the "immediate chaos" that anarchy brings.

What kills me is, this series, and even the prior series The Last Airbender has shown how evil the state can be, which even included genocide of an entire race of people at the hands of a Fire Nation.

This is actually why I prefer the LOK to the original series. Its villains are far more complex with more ambiguous motives. The Fire Lord was a badass villain, but his character was limited to "I'm evil! I wanna take over the world!" (Of course!)

Here, the villains don't have bad motives. If anything, you could say they want to make the world a better place. Amon wanted to unite benders and non-benders by making them all equal. Tarrlok wanted to unite the human and spirit world once again. And now, you have Zaheer wanting to bring an end to tyranny and oppression. Their motives are not bad. It's how they're trying to go about them, with them justifying their means with the end.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on August 09, 2014, 11:07:11 PM
This is actually why I prefer the LOK to the original series. Its villains are far more complex with more ambiguous motives. The Fire Lord was a badass villain, but his character was limited to "I'm evil! I wanna take over the world!" (Of course!)

Here, the villains don't have bad motives. If anything, you could say they want to make the world a better place. Amon wanted to unite benders and non-benders by making them all equal. Tarrlok wanted to unite the human and spirit world once again. And now, you have Zaheer wanting to bring an end to tyranny and oppression. Their motives are not bad. It's how they're trying to go about them, with them justifying their means with the end.

But it's not just the villains themselves, it's the fact that the minute the Earth Queen is taken out, of course they have everyone rioting and looting to try and prove Kora right that not having a government automatically means mass chaos. That's what I find to be pure bullshit.

Quote from: D on August 10, 2014, 06:35:25 AM
But it's not just the villains themselves, it's the fact that the minute the Earth Queen is taken out, of course they have everyone rioting and looting to try and prove Kora right that not having a government automatically means mass chaos. That's what I find to be pure bullshit.
You could argue that people were angry at the government and were getting payback while they could.
Devil's advocate.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on August 10, 2014, 02:44:29 PM
You could argue that people were angry at the government and were getting payback while they could.
Devil's advocate.

You could argue that, but it wasn't why they were trying to convey. It was obvious it was seen as immediate chaos rather than people happy to be freed from a tyrant.

Quote from: D on August 10, 2014, 02:52:11 PM
You could argue that, but it wasn't why they were trying to convey. It was obvious it was seen as immediate chaos rather than people happy to be freed from a tyrant.

Happy people freed from a tyrant may take revenge against whomever the tyrant favored, as happened in East Germany and Romania (in both of which, for example, the secret police ran disinformation ops to direct the mobs away from their actual offices while they desperately tried to burn their files, the sheer volume of which particularly blocked the action in East Germany).  Every tyrant has to favor some group, or there's nobody who will want to prop the tyrant up against general discontent.  When the tyrant falls (as they inevitably do, at some point), it tends to turn into a bad day to be in that group.

Quote from: D on August 10, 2014, 02:52:11 PM
I just rewatched that section of the episode and there was no looting shown.
In fact the reverse happened, People celebrated when the wall came down.
I saw little chaos so far.
Maybe, in the next episode they show something fail worthy, what you described didn't happen.
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on August 10, 2014, 06:27:51 PM
I just rewatched that section of the episode and there was no looting shown.
In fact the reverse happened, People celebrated when the wall came down.
I saw little chaos so far.
Maybe, in the next episode they show something fail worthy, what you described didn't happen.

They didn't actually SHOW the looting, but they had a radio broadcast saying the looting happened with the Avatar saying "This is only the beginning" under a negative context. It's obviously implied that what happened was a BAD thing and the fact that the makers of this series are throwing this as a bad thing that just happened. It's blatantly said that there was rioting and looting on the radio broadcast and that the kingdom went into mass chaos. Sure, you could argue that the guy might have just been a shill, but it's obvious that the makers of this series are going with the "this is bad" route. I'll keep watching to see if they make this a learning experience for Kora to embrace the idea of anarchism, but I highly doubt they're going to go there.

Quote from: D on August 10, 2014, 07:17:45 PM
They didn't actually SHOW the looting, but they had a radio broadcast saying the looting happened with the Avatar saying "This is only the beginning" under a negative context. It's obviously implied that what happened was a BAD thing and the fact that the makers of this series are throwing this as a bad thing that just happened. It's blatantly said that there was rioting and looting on the radio broadcast and that the kingdom went into mass chaos. Sure, you could argue that the guy might have just been a shill, but it's obvious that the makers of this series are going with the "this is bad" route. I'll keep watching to see if they make this a learning experience for Kora to embrace the idea of anarchism, but I highly doubt they're going to go there.
The radio said ba sing se is in chaos, not the earth kingdom, and that looters and rioters were overrunning the palace, they might be leaving the rest of ba sing se alone, since they live there. That's something normal when a corrupt and oppressive ruler is killed.
Lao Tzu

With most of Shane's videos touching upon universal healthcare systems such as the NHS, out of curiosity, I decided to search "NHS" on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/search/nhs

Every. Single. Darn. Post. Praises. It.

Not surprisingly, most of them are Brits. They think their healthcare system is so perfect. We're Americans and we can see the problems permeating their system. What's their excuse?

Quote from: BlameThe1st on August 10, 2014, 11:19:39 PM
Not surprisingly, most of them are Brits. They think their healthcare system is so perfect. We're Americans and we can see the problems permeating their system. What's their excuse?

As I pointed out, they DO see the problems and they scream at their politicians to fix them. But there's something that happens when they talk with Americans and the rest of the world that makes them defend it like it's their religion.

Pretty much EVERY Brit I've talked to one-on-one thinks the NHS is a joke at best, hideous at worst. This is also borne out in their television: the NHS is portrayed as bureaucratic, inefficient, and the butt of jokes.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 11, 2014, 09:05:48 AM
As I pointed out, they DO see the problems and they scream at their politicians to fix them. But there's something that happens when they talk with Americans and the rest of the world that makes them defend it like it's their religion.

Pretty much EVERY Brit I've talked to one-on-one thinks the NHS is a joke at best, hideous at worst. This is also borne out in their television: the NHS is portrayed as bureaucratic, inefficient, and the butt of jokes.
Sounds like cult mentality.  In private, yeah, they know it's bogus, but in public where Big Brother is watching them, they don't want to appear as part of the "Not-We" so they defend it like any other cultist.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/08/12/robin-williams-brings-joy-to-the-hearts-of-journalists-and-politicians-once-again/

I understand PZ Meyer's frustration over the news media sensationalizing Robin William's death and hyper-focusing on it rather than on more penitent issues, but, seriously, his recent comments give me a bad taste in my mouth:

QuoteI'm sorry to report that comedian Robin Williams has committed suicide, an event of great import and grief to his family. But his sacrifice has been a great boon to the news cycle and the electoral machinery — thank God that we have a tragedy involving a wealthy white man to drag us away from the depressing news about brown people....Boy, I hate to say it, but it sure was nice of Robin Williams to create such a spectacular distraction.

Every single comment djancak has left on this video:  [yt]0fuq8Zgwrwk[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/pro-life-site-robin-williams-abortion

QuoteThe pro-life site Life News on Tuesday published a piece suggesting that an abortion in actor Robin Williams' past may have contributed to the depression he struggled with throughout his life.

I think this Gif is appropriate