Fail Quotes

Started by Travis Retriever, October 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BlameThe1st on July 10, 2013, 12:21:18 PM
ATHEIST CHURCH WILL TAKE GOD AND ‘SUPER-NATURALISM’ OUT OF THE EQUATION — AND THIS FORMER PENTECOSTAL PREACHER IS LEADING IT

Atheist chaplains? Atheist temples? And now atheist churches and pastors? What is with atheists and oxymorons? (No offense to the atheists on here!)

There are very good reasons for it, not the least of which is the ability to get married without a religious ceremony. Anyone can get ordained from the Church of Atheism and officiate marriages. Other benefits include engaging in social and community action without having to pay taxes. Religious people get these benefits; why can't we?

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 10, 2013, 12:26:15 PM
There are very good reasons for it, not the least of which is the ability to get married without a religious ceremony. Anyone can get ordained from the Church of Atheism and officiate marriages. Other benefits include engaging in social and community action without having to pay taxes. Religious people get these benefits; why can't we?
Indeed.  The best solution to this issue would be have government not involved in those things to begin with.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Found this while doing some research.

[yt]MD032QVYvKE[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on July 10, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
Found this while doing some research.

[yt]MD032QVYvKE[/yt]

if he's sword-fingers, why hasn't she been sliced in half or something?
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]z6ACE-BBPRs[/yt]

Fail for the actions of Gitmo.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]q5hmxyceUYQ[/yt]

Oh, god! How stupid can you get?!?
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on July 10, 2013, 06:06:54 PM
[yt]q5hmxyceUYQ[/yt]

You realize it's Zonation right? but at any rate. I'm not exactly well versed in the astro sciences but I'm not sure that's how Black holes work. or rather how they interact with stars. I could be wrong as I've said i'm completely illiterate in this area.

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on July 10, 2013, 06:06:54 PM
[yt]q5hmxyceUYQ[/yt]

Has Zo ever made a video that WASN'T fail?

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 10, 2013, 07:58:05 PM
Has Zo ever made a video that WASN'T fail?

Not any that I'm aware.
The only reason I see his videos is that I actually kinda like guys like Bill Whittle.
Lao Tzu

Quotethe element that makes 'following the law an obligation' is the fact you will be punished for not following it.

This is true regardless of whether you personally acknowledge the law as a superior moral standard.

type10000 in Hawkeyes Top 11 Statist arguments video

[yt]vLwUA3CHumk[/yt]

Oh Sweet Celestia, where do I even begin?!?!

1) Biblical slavery is not the same as modern slavery. Slavery as mentioned in the Bible was not the same as the slavery that existed in pre-Civil War America. If anything, Biblical slavery was more akin to indentured servitude, as "bondservants" (which is what they were reffered to in the Bible) would work for another person in order to pay off their debts to them. Furthermore, the Bible has clear instructions for "masters" to treat their "bondservants" fairly, and to only allow them to work for them until their debts were paid in full.

2) Christianity existed in Africa long before the Europeans arrived. Christianity in Ethiopia dates back the 1st century AD, and was fabled to have been brought there by the Ethiopian Eunuch. So not all Africans had Christianity forced upon them by European slave-owners.

3) Most Christians opposed slavery. While many Christians did support slavery, many more were opposed to it. The Catholic Church condemned slavery, having been denounced by Pope Paul III in his papal bull "Sublimus Dei" in 1537. The abolitionist movement was entirely religious in nature. John Newton, the hymnist who wrote "Amazing Grace", was formerly a slave trader before converting to Christianity, after which he left the practice and preached against it. His anti-slavery pamphlet "Thoughts Upon the Slave Trade" inspired  William Wilberforce to enter politics and lead the movement to end slavery in the British Empire.

But of course, all of these facts don't matter to Dusty. All he cares about is logic--and by "logic", he really means whatever rationalization he can use to smear and malign Christians. If this means inadvertently calling Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. or Rosa Parks or any other prominent figure in the Civil Rights Movement an "uncle Tom," so be it. After all, logic!

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on July 11, 2013, 03:59:15 PM
1) Biblical slavery is not the same as modern slavery. Slavery as mentioned in the Bible was not the same as the slavery that existed in pre-Civil War America. If anything, Biblical slavery was more akin to indentured servitude, as "bondservants" (which is what they were reffered to in the Bible) would work for another person in order to pay off their debts to them. Furthermore, the Bible has clear instructions for "masters" to treat their "bondservants" fairly, and to only allow them to work for them until their debts were paid in full.

So then, what's all that bit about selling daughters into slavery and they never get freed, whereas sons are freed after 7 years?

Really, it's only MALE HEBREW slaves that they have to treat nicely. Females and people of other races, you can screw them however you want (even literally!).

Quote3) Most Christians opposed slavery.

Only if you count Quakers as Christians--which, in fairness, they pretty much all were at the time, but they had lots of extra beliefs outside Christian teachings that led them to oppose slavery. Otherwise, it's pretty much a wash.

This isn't just me as a Christian who has a problem with this. Atheists such as UnseenPerfidy and Gabriel Grey have taken Dusty to task over his fail.

As for your points:

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 11, 2013, 04:05:16 PM
So then, what's all that bit about selling daughters into slavery and they never get freed, whereas sons are freed after 7 years?

Not really going to regurgitate what apologists have already explained numerous times. As for "female sex slaves," here's a video by TektonTV explaining why that isn't the case:

[yt]IqjSgfTwbRo[/yt]

QuoteOnly if you count Quakers as Christians--which, in fairness, they pretty much all were at the time, but they had lots of extra beliefs outside Christian teachings that led them to oppose slavery. Otherwise, it's pretty much a wash.

That sounds too much like a "no-true Scotsman fallacy," which, ironically, many of my fellow Christians try to use on other denominations to argue that they're not "true" Christians. Fact is, as I alreadey explained, Christians across the spectrum, from Protestants to Catholics, were opposed to slavery and were supporters of abolition.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

all comments by bamboo4tameshigiri on this video:

[yt]S2OsdoAAjsE[/yt]

Of particular note:

bamboo4tameshigiri: "'So what?'

Are you autistic? He's not talking about computer programs. He's talking about the real human lives and how they would be effected by the turmoil you wish to have in the tearing down and building up of new systems. Try to pay attention, or just stop being dishonest. No one over the age of 10 is THAT naive."

Tnu1138: "You keep using that word as if ti somehow makes you magically right. For that matter I'M autistic asshole. "

bamboo4tameshigiri: "That explains a LOT."

Stay classy, bamboo.  Stay classy.