Unnamed(?) logical fallacies

Started by MrBogosity, September 24, 2009, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: D.Turcotte on April 23, 2011, 02:59:40 PM
Oh thank Toki (Fist of the North Star reference) that we're finally giving a fallacy to a guy like Bill Maher.

Words cannot describe the hatred, contempt, and disdain (except those words obviously) I hold for this man. Sure, he doesn't believe in the G-man, but that doesn't mean jack when he's practically brainless in everything else.

My dad likes Bill Maher's show, so I unfortunately have to hear him every now and then, and when I do, I feel physically ill every time.

His argument on 1950s economics is the same kind of nonsense I hear when people say that the Constitution shouldn't be followed because the people who wrote it were slave owners, and thus, the document itself has no moral ground. It's stupid, and honestly, I see it as grasping at straws to nitpick a reason to bash something. Honestly, I just refer to it as douchebaggery, but that might be considered too harsh for some people.

EDIT: After thinking about it further, if we're going to give it a name, I'd say "Appeal to Negative Circumstance." When rejecting a good idea because when it was implemented, something bad was happening roughly around the same time.

Indeed.  Also, Maher is an anti-vaxxer and (based on the evidence I've seen from C0nc0rdance's video on the subject) a germ theory denalist too.

Sounds like a good name to me!
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

April 24, 2011, 08:06:22 PM #196 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:09:28 PM by D.Turcotte
Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 07:28:29 PM
Indeed.  Also, Maher is an anti-vaxxer and (based on the evidence I've seen from C0nc0rdance's video on the subject) a germ theory denalist too.

Sounds like a good name to me!

My problem with Bill Maher isn't even that he's necessarily wrong. He's a total asshole about being wrong. It's like we took all the worst parts of Bill O'Riley, and multiplied them to levels far beyond the comprehension of common people. He's just such an arrogant prick that I feel the need to punch a hole through his face. I don't wish death on anybody except for very few people. He's not exactly in THAT category, but he comes close. Hell, just the other night I had to hear this guy, and he was talking about how, "People asked me why I'm going to North Carolina, but I don't like to nod these people off. Some of them there are actually smart people who are surrounded by a bunch of stupid rednecks!" Yeah, because anyone who disagrees with you is either a corporate shill or a herpyderpy redneck who hasn't come to terms with the 21st century. Hell, in the same show, he said some people hate homosexuality, yet he can't understand for the life of them why they like pro wrestling. It seems like he comes up with a reason every time he opens his mouth why I shouldn't like him. His audience isn't much better. They cheer everything he says or someone who is OMGZ SUPER LEFT says. Christopher Hitchens gave them a nice middle finger, and I've come to like him more for it. I liked the man already, but it's like 1000 bonus points in my book.

[yt]HECI4QK_mXA[/yt]

Indeed.  It's like my friend Lord T Hawkeye says, "Calling Fox News biased is like walking into an entire room of prostitutes going up to own and saying while pointing to another one.  You see her?  She's a whore." (paraphrased of course!)  If the people crying "FAUX NEWS IS BIASED!!111" don't think the left also pulls that crap, they're deluding themselves.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 08:17:30 PM
Indeed.  It's like my friend Lord T Hawkeye says, "Calling Fox News biased is like walking into an entire room of prostitutes going up to own and saying while pointing to another one.  You see her?  She's a whore." (paraphrased of course!)  If the people crying "FAUX NEWS IS BIASED!!111" don't think the left also pulls that crap, they're deluding themselves.

I'm a lot harder on the left than I am on the right because I live in a family full of these idiots.

Anyway, I don't know if anything like this has been mentioned, but I see this kind of quote all the god damned time, and I don't know if there is some kind of fallacy in it, but I feel that something about it isn't right.

"Your car is Japanese. Your Vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your Beers are German. Your shirt is Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. Your electronics are Chinese. Your numbers -Arabic, your letters -Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is an immigrant?"

April 24, 2011, 08:30:58 PM #199 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:52:24 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: D.Turcotte on April 24, 2011, 08:23:48 PM
"Your car is Japanese. Your Vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your Beers are German. Your shirt is Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. Your electronics are Chinese. Your numbers -Arabic, your letters -Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is an immigrant?"

Really, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Quote from: D.Turcotte on April 24, 2011, 08:23:48 PM"Your car is Japanese. Your Vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your Beers are German. Your shirt is Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. Your electronics are Chinese. Your numbers -Arabic, your letters -Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is an immigrant?"

Now THAT'S a Fav Quote!

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
Really, I don't see what's wrong with that.

My problem isn't the quote itself, but how it's applied. It's usually applied when talking about illegal immigration, at least in every context I've ever seen it. These people usually imply that if you are against illegal immigration, you're against any and all foreigners or immigration in any context.

Alright, back on topic.

So Shane, what do you think of D.Turcotte's idea for a name of Maher's fallacy?
Quote from: D.Turcotte on April 23, 2011, 02:59:40 PM
EDIT: After thinking about it further, if we're going to give it a name, I'd say "Appeal to Negative Circumstance." When rejecting a good idea because when it was implemented, something bad was happening roughly around the same time.
(Emphasis added by me.)

Quote from: D.Turcotte on April 24, 2011, 09:03:11 PM
My problem isn't the quote itself, but how it's applied. It's usually applied when talking about illegal immigration, at least in every context I've ever seen it. These people usually imply that if you are against illegal immigration, you're against any and all foreigners or immigration in any context.

The illegal immigrant argument is a circular argument though:
"Why is illegal immigration bad?
Because it's illegal!
What is it illegal?
Because it's bad!"

I personally prefer Harry Browne's solutions and thoughts on this:  http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Harry_Browne_Immigration.htm

Also, I found these rather convincing too:
[yt]XSHSN9NEv88[/yt]
[yt]8SrnhNhYVjs[/yt]

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 09:11:23 PM
The illegal immigrant argument is a circular argument though:
"Why is illegal immigration bad?
Because it's illegal!
What is it illegal?
Because it's bad!"

I personally prefer Harry Browne's solutions and thoughts on this:  http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Harry_Browne_Immigration.htm

Also, I found these rather convincing too:
[yt]XSHSN9NEv88[/yt]
[yt]8SrnhNhYVjs[/yt]

Hmm...these are really good arguments. I may have to actually rethink my position. I'm glad you've shown me this.

Glad to hear it. :)

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 09:40:35 PM
Glad to hear it. :)

I noticed he's a Star Trek fan. It's funny, because he's a step away from doing a full blown Sulu impression, at least as far as I can tell.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on April 24, 2011, 09:04:03 PM
Alright, back on topic.

So Shane, what do you think of D.Turcotte's idea for a name of Maher's fallacy? (Emphasis added by me.)

Personally, I think it's wordy and doesn't really capture the nature of the fallacy.

I'm bored so I'll reignite an argument from two years ago. I still think the time argument is another form of argument from authority.

If "Dr. Kent Hovind says its true, so it must be" can be considered an argument from an authority, just saying "This has been around for over 6,000 years so it must be awesome" is as well.

September 10, 2011, 02:57:42 AM #209 Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:04:33 AM by Ibrahim90
it's what I call the argument from the adequacy of another (a variant of arguing from authority):

Harman Cain: "if 10% is good enough for God....." when referring to his 9-9-9 plan (why not 0-0-0?)
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox