Unnamed(?) logical fallacies

Started by MrBogosity, September 24, 2009, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How about the fallacy of tying cost to performance?

This could be either: "This cost $(insane amount) so it must be great!"

Or: "This isn't working, we need to give it $(insane amount) more!"

The former we see with a lot of the woo products, like the "bomb-detecting" dowsing rod which cost $40,000 and was just a DVD theft protection sticker on an antenna.

The latter we see with a lot of policies, like government paying more money to failing schools.

Sounds like a fallacy to me!
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

I tell Julie to be more quiet next time... Oh wait wait, you said FALLACY... Nevermind then.

Quote from: Gumba Masta on February 20, 2010, 06:43:23 PM
I tell Julie to be more quiet next time... Oh wait wait, you said FALLACY... Nevermind then.
And I thought I had a dirty mind. :P
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Gumba Masta on February 20, 2010, 06:43:23 PM

At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. At least he's not Real Captain Olimar.

There. I feel better now.

Quote from: Virgil0211 on February 20, 2010, 07:17:39 PM
At least he's not Real Captain Olimar. [x 43]
There. I feel better now.
I was wondering when someone was going to say that. :P
Something I found odd is that both Gumba Masta and Real Captain Olimar both post in similar ways, yet the former has -5 on their bogometer while the latter has +40 on his...
Very very odd...

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on February 20, 2010, 07:31:49 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to say that. :P
Something I found odd is that both Gumba Masta and Real Captain Olimar both post in similar ways, yet the former has -5 on their bogometer while the latter has +40 on his...
Very very odd...

Well, RealCaptainOlimar was completely nonsensical, whereas GumbaMasta is just strange. RCO was irritating where GM is just simply not funny. RCO would post random bits of text that may or may not have had anything to do with the topic, start random nonsense topics, and sometimes would even derail the conversation he was in. GM, at his worst, just posts bad puns.

Sorry, GumbaMasta. No hard feelings, of course.

Quote from: Virgil0211 on February 20, 2010, 08:04:52 PM
Well, RealCaptainOlimar was completely nonsensical, whereas GumbaMasta is just strange. RCO was irritating where GM is just simply not funny. RCO would post random bits of text that may or may not have had anything to do with the topic, start random nonsense topics, and sometimes would even derail the conversation he was in. GM, at his worst, just posts bad puns.

Sorry, GumbaMasta. No hard feelings, of course.
...Well, I think GumbaMasta is funny.

Anyways, back on topic, what other fallacies can you think of?

How about, where they keep going on about "I don't have time to sit here typing post after post giving you evidence or trying to explain it to you," when they do, in fact, have time to sit there typing post after post saying why they don't have time to sit there typing post after post giving you evidence or trying to explain it to you.

That needs a REALLY good name, IMO.

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 20, 2010, 08:15:29 PMHow about, where they keep going on about "I don't have time to sit here typing post after post giving you evidence or trying to explain it to you," when they do, in fact, have time to sit there typing post after post saying why they don't have time to sit there typing post after post giving you evidence or trying to explain it to you.

That needs a REALLY good name, IMO.
Oh yeah, I got that bs from LibertyStudent over at the Mises Forum, in addition to constant homework fallacies.

As for a name...hm....
How about, "Time Excuse Fallacy"?

February 20, 2010, 08:46:40 PM #147 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:51:06 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on February 20, 2010, 08:45:57 PMI said a GOOD name.
Don't make me dump tea into the harbor. :P

How about..."No Time Fallacy"?
or "False Urgency fallacy"?
...No, wait, actually, that gives me an idea for another fallacy.

One where urgency is used in place of merit for an idea or proposition.
"Because we don't have time!  We need this war now!  There's no time for all that intellectual bs!"

Yes, or the Global Warming BS: "We don't have time to figure out of we're right! We need to act NOW!"

(Um, if you don't know that you're right, how do you know your proposal will have the effect you want?)

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on February 20, 2010, 08:46:40 PM
Don't make me dump tea into the harbor. :P

How about..."No Time Fallacy"?
or "False Urgency fallacy"?
...No, wait, actually, that gives me an idea for another fallacy.

One where urgency is used in place of merit for an idea or proposition.
"Because we don't have time!  We need this war now!  There's no time for all that intellectual bs!"

That reminds me of the partisan "this is NOT the election to eff around!" line that's used in any and every election when independent thinkers are considering voting for third-party candidates. "Nader's gonna 'steal' votes away from our guy! You're gonna screw things up!"

It is a false dichotomy in essence but still part of this "false urgency" concept.
Maybe it should be called the "Here in the Now" fallacy? I'm sure I'll think of better ones soon.
"Did you know that the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?"
"Dead Poets Society has destroyed a generation of educators."
  --The Simpsons, "Special Edna"