Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
OK, some music videos that came up in my YouTube feed awhile back.  In a spoiler, since there's seven of them.  These are really good, if you like this sort of thing.

[spoiler]

[yt]aGk5I6Fejh4[/yt]

[yt]9evqS0N_tWc[/yt]

[yt]bqL7Yllgeew[/yt]

[yt]4ltTnQu2BNI[/yt]

[yt]hG-K41WY-tg[/yt]

[yt]Ql8m0LEgztE[/yt]

[yt]wtJPuu5TE3E[/yt]

[/spoiler]

Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

February 03, 2016, 06:04:38 AM #4967 Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:42:07 PM by Travis Retriever
Not an image, or video, but just a good old fashion text quote, for old time's sake:

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”—Christopher Hitchens
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

I just had an epiphany: you could narrate the presidential race exactly as one would narrate a horse race! seriously, check out this coverage of the Iowa caucus:

Quote from: yours truly: originally posted on facebook

"here we see the old rickety red horse against the old rickety mare: she's better ridden, but has too much baggage: it's neck and neck, no clear lead, running at high speed. Old rickety mare acts like she's going to win, and slacks off, making the neck and neck race even more neck and neck--looks like we'll need to look at the footage in slow-motion to determine the winner. Nearest horse to them is way behind--no hope at all!

meanwhile bible thumper is outracing rathead, rathead outracing plastic face, and plastic face leaving all the others behind: look! the foal is quitting! he certainly doesn't have his father's stamina! Oh what a day! rathead seems to be taking it well enough, but he must be seething under there!

stay tuned for the next qualification races, held in New Hampshire later this month."
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"Brevity is the soul of wit."―Polonius, Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on March 03, 2016, 01:24:11 PM
"Brevity is the soul of wit."―Polonius, Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92

Which he said in the middle of being about as wordy as he possibly could be! (And half of that was saying how he would be brief.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 03, 2016, 02:04:33 PM
Which he said in the middle of being about as wordy as he possibly could be! (And half of that was saying how he would be brief.)
I saw!  It struck me as Shakespeare being ironic and/or that character being a comic foil or something of a bumbler.

Quote from: Travis Retriever on March 03, 2016, 02:29:41 PM
I saw!  It struck me as Shakespeare being ironic and/or that character being a comic foil or something of a bumbler.

Actually, if you read the whole text, you'll see he was only putting on the impression of being a bumbler. He was as corrupt as everyone else in the royal court.

March 03, 2016, 03:30:01 PM #4973 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:41:36 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on March 03, 2016, 03:27:07 PM
Actually, if you read the whole text, you'll see he was only putting on the impression of being a bumbler. He was as corrupt as everyone else in the royal court.
Noted. X3  I only saw the quote in the context of ~4 lines of text. X3

"Schrödinger's libertarian: an irrelevant fringe nutter who has taken over the world and controls it."—Me.

A bit masturbatory, posting my own, but I still liked it enough to share it.

March 19, 2016, 04:10:00 PM #4974 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:03:30 AM by evensgrey
In the Couldn't Befall Amore Deserving Entity file...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-hulkhogan-idUSKCN0WK16Y

Hulk Hogan won his lawsuit against Gawker yesterday, and has been awarded $115 million in emotional and economic damages.  On Monday, the jury starts considering the punitive damages.  Gawker is hoping the appellate court will overturn the case for them so they can keep doing this sort of thing.

It takes nerve for Gawker to claim juries just don't like the media and the appellate courts are more fair.  I'm rather expecting they won't get enough of a reduction in their penalties to stay afloat.

edit: fixed spelling

[yt]LJ3ldqsNbD4[/yt]

I am utterly shocked!

To understand what it so important about this, it isn't what he's saying (it's only mildly funny--at least compared to Bassem Youssef). It's that this man, is a Iraqi (and he has the thick accent to prove it), who has a Jon Stewart style show, openly mocking both ISIS and his own government.

Overall, it's been a couple of good days: Hulk Hogan wins, I find this, and I saved ~10 dollars in food expenses by going to document Baha'i customs (though I mainly went to speak to a professor--who is a baha'i).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

And proving just how inept the UK government is when it comes to the internet...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/300-million-polar-ship-could-be-named-boaty-mcboatface-/65277/

They ask on the internet for suggestions for their new, extremely advanced research icebreaker.  The leading name is 'Boaty McBoatface', with two others (Usain Boat and Its Bloody Cold Here) being almost as silly.

I suspect they might select one of the more conventional entries, like David Attenboroug or Henry Worsley, but we can hope for Pillar Of Autumn.

This one is just so funny, because the guy doing it normally does videos about slightly junky products he's bought on eBay, sometimes products that turn out to be good, some that are dangerous, and some that are improvable, but this time he does something rather stupid to find out what it's like.

[yt]ep2I3Gf3Sec[/yt]

The normally quite soft-spoken Big Clive takes a sip of methylated spirits and starts swearing profusely at the taste.  (In the UK, they add an extremely bitter compound to further discourage drinking it, in case the fact it's full of toxic methanol isn't enough.)

The brand name on the bottle is kind of interesting, too.  We've got a company of the same name here in Canada, and from what I can tell from the web sites of the two companies, they operate in very similar ways in very similar markets, without having anything specific to do with each other.  There's also a similarly named company in Australia that's more the building supply area.

April 15, 2016, 10:03:18 AM #4978 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:22:43 PM by Travis Retriever
"People who trust a free market support a spontaneous bottom up social order in which free individuals make voluntary contracts with each other, and no one can lawfully initiate force, fraud, duress, or defamation against anyone else. It's where people are free to try and support their own solutions to problems, discard the ones that don't work and keep the ones that do.  And where, by extension, people tolerate others lifestyles, instead of running to government to point guns at them because people doing things differently makes them sad in their pants.  Is that vision so obviously unattractive that we have to refer its supporters for psychological evaluation?

"We might instead wonder at the psychological condition of those who would denounce such a social order: might they be motivated, for all their noble talk, by nothing but base envy of those with more material wealth and more fun in their lives than they, or by a pathological desire to dominate other people?"--Me, inspired by the last three paragraphs of this article:  https://mises.org/library/supporters-capitalism-are-crazy-says-harvard

The background is too complicated to explain briefly, but this is from a multi-viewpoint shared universe online thing that isn't all that consistent.

http://wanderers-library.wikidot.com/the-antarctic-model-a-failed-experiment-in-ecological-engine

I'm pretty sure I know what they based it on (in the spoiler) but it's written in terms of penguins of all things.

[spoiler]I'm pretty sure it's about Canada's recent prostitution law debacle and the introduction of the already-failed Scandinavian Model laws against it that were then put in.[/spoiler]