Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 02, 2015, 05:22:25 PM #4800 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by Travis Retriever
"Health and anabolism feed each other, as only a healthy body will build and spare muscle at the greatest possible rate."--Menno Henselmans & Casey Butt, paraphrased. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]F3NfdFYrmnA[/yt]
If you ever see this man irl, buy him a drink of his choice!
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]40_gqumf9ss[/yt]

Quote from: AnCap Dave on May 05, 2015, 07:53:41 AM
[yt]40_gqumf9ss[/yt]

WTF is Arthur Chu's problem with Yudkowsky?

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 05, 2015, 10:40:06 AM

No idea. What I do know is Chu is completely insane.

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 05, 2015, 10:40:06 AM

By intersecting Chu's known delusional obsessions and RationalWiki's write up on Yudkowsky, it's likely a passing reference in a piece of Yudkowsky's fiction of a weird society with radically different ideas about consent not having a law against rape.

Quote from: evensgrey on May 05, 2015, 12:36:25 PM
By intersecting Chu's known delusional obsessions and RationalWiki's write up on Yudkowsky, it's likely a passing reference in a piece of Yudkowsky's fiction of a weird society with radically different ideas about consent not having a law against rape.

Wow...that is a REAL fail of an article! (Of course, I would expect no less (better?) from RationalWiki...)

They even brought up the tired old "He inserted himself into his Harry Potter fanfic!" bullshit when anyone who's actually READ it knows that's either completely idiotic, or he doesn't consider himself the genius they claim he does (Harry ends up being VERY stupid in a lot of ways and making a lot of mistakes--and yes, this Harry's narcissism IS covered in the fanfic!).

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 05, 2015, 12:54:27 PM
Wow...that is a REAL fail of an article! (Of course, I would expect no less (better?) from RationalWiki...)

They even brought up the tired old "He inserted himself into his Harry Potter fanfic!" bullshit when anyone who's actually READ it knows that's either completely idiotic, or he doesn't consider himself the genius they claim he does (Harry ends up being VERY stupid in a lot of ways and making a lot of mistakes--and yes, this Harry's narcissism IS covered in the fanfic!).

Sounds like he came up with a variant of Harry as different from the original as the one Stefan projected into the books.

Controller: I can assure you that this planet has never been more efficiently, more economically run. People have never been happier, or more prosperous.

The Doctor: Then why do you need so many people to keep them under control? Don't they LIKE being happy and prosperous?

From Doctor Who: "Day of the Daleks" Part 3.

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 05, 2015, 01:40:54 PM
Controller: I can assure you that this planet has never been more efficiently, more economically run. People have never been happier, or more prosperous.

The Doctor: Then why do you need so many people to keep them under control? Don't they LIKE being happy and prosperous?

From Doctor Who: "Day of the Daleks" Part 3.
Well played, Doctor, well played. :)

Quote from: evensgrey on May 05, 2015, 12:36:25 PM

well, from what I've read, Arthur Chu is bound for bedlam...
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

I knew I liked lifting for reason. :)
Yes, I know I've posted these before, I just don't care.  It needs to be posted again. :)

My version:

"In a free market, the profit & loss signals never lie to you.  You can walk outside, and hear all kinds of talk, getting told you're a god, a bastard and everything else in between.

The profit & loss signals will always kick you real deal. Always the great reference point and all knowing perspective giver.

Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.  I have found the profit & loss signals to be my greatest friend.  It never bullshits me, freaks out, or runs.  It always gives it to me straight and objectively.

Friends, like fads, come and go, but a 10% profit is and will always be, a 10% profit."

[yt]eJ2djqrdyj8[/yt]

This is mostly about architecture, but the speaker (Prof. Simon Thurley) is much more aware of how economics really work than most people speaking on historical topics.  For instance, in this lecture he mentions that one of the drivers for England mechanizing workplaces in the 19th century was the high wages compared to other places and how the wars the UK fought in the 19th century were only possible because of the Bank of England.

Quotea scientific paper isn't going to allow me to walk in another dimension until they build a gate or something... just sayin' that's theory. basically philosophy.. nebulous guesses imo. They THINK this stuff is so, but writing it down isn't proof it's true. It's the same with religion for me.. when God and Satan come to me and say "which way do you think you should go?" I'll start to believe. until then I believe in the here and now, and as for faith I hold that only in myself.

Quote from: tnu on May 13, 2015, 03:02:06 AM

What ? The comparison doesn't hold. Science is philosophy in the old sense, and the definition still holds value if we are careful to not include some of the modern philosophy in the scientific disciplines, but "nebulous guess" doesn't apply at all. On the other hand, religions are not guesses, because guessing imply some form of valid reasoning, and religions aren't burdened by that 99% of the time. What is the point of the quote exactly ?