Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travis Retriever on December 29, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
"Barack Obama has continued and expanded genocidal activities in the middle east, including the use of radioactive and chemical weapons that prevent pregnancy. He has overseen the mass slaughter of Africans in Somalia and the occupation of Uganda. He continues the blatantly racist drug war. He holds the record for most deportations of any president in American history. Ron Paul seeks to end most or all of these things. If you are truly anti-racist, you have much bigger fish to fry than him." --Stargazer5781 via a bulletin

Adding to the above, another old classic from Stargazer5781: "Statism is all well and good until you realize that people in the state are human too. If your claim is that people need to be ordered around and controlled, who will order around and control the people in the state? Statism necessitates the existence of gods and only made sense back when people thought the heads of state were gods. When you realize gods don't exist, all arguments for a state self-detonate."  Emphasis added by me
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]bhDTtO_lDTs&feature[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

[yt]NXOhN2u5wtY[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

[yt]krF50MEhXPo[/yt]

So, the guys look at one bit from each of the Original Trilogy::  Luke's swing over the chasm in the Death Start, Han stuffing Luke into the belly of a taun-taun to keep him warm while Han builds a shelter, and the ewoks crushing an AT-ST with a pair of swinging logs.

The verdicts:
[spoiler]
It's possible, but REALLY hard to get a grappling hook to hook like Luke does, and the swing with only a belt for support is very painful and likely to cause serious injury if anything goes wrong, but it is possible to hold another person while making the swing if you aren't injured in the process.  So, possible, and REALLY heroic if it works.

Stuffing a hypothermic person inside the belly of a freshly dead large animal works a treat for keeping them alive for hours, ample time to get a shelter set up so you can get the victim into conditions where you can rewarm them.

A pair of large logs with a good swing can indeed crush an armored vehicle, at least if it's built like a Brinks truck, with lots of protection from small arms but none of the major structural supports for the armor you'd expect in something like a proper tank, which certainly looks to be the way the AT-ST is built.  The AT-ST isn't built like a tank because almost nobody uses kinetic weapons in Star Wars, so it doesn't need to be.
[/spoiler]

Quote from: evensgrey on January 16, 2015, 11:06:07 AM
[yt]krF50MEhXPo[/yt]

So, the guys look at one bit from each of the Original Trilogy::  Luke's swing over the chasm in the Death Start, Han stuffing Luke into the belly of a taun-taun to keep him warm while Han builds a shelter, and the ewoks crushing an AT-ST with a pair of swinging logs.

The verdicts:
[spoiler]
It's possible, but REALLY hard to get a grappling hook to hook like Luke does, and the swing with only a belt for support is very painful and likely to cause serious injury if anything goes wrong, but it is possible to hold another person while making the swing if you aren't injured in the process.  So, possible, and REALLY heroic if it works.

Stuffing a hypothermic person inside the belly of a freshly dead large animal works a treat for keeping them alive for hours, ample time to get a shelter set up so you can get the victim into conditions where you can rewarm them.

A pair of large logs with a good swing can indeed crush an armored vehicle, at least if it's built like a Brinks truck, with lots of protection from small arms but none of the major structural supports for the armor you'd expect in something like a proper tank, which certainly looks to be the way the AT-ST is built.  The AT-ST isn't built like a tank because almost nobody uses kinetic weapons in Star Wars, so it doesn't need to be.
[/spoiler]

Blocked by Discovery Communications :(

Quote from: dallen68 on January 16, 2015, 12:52:54 PM
Blocked by Discovery Communications :(

Working fine for me.  I'm using TOR, so YouTube has no idea where I am.

[yt]NXOhN2u5wtY[/yt]

Quote from: D on January 17, 2015, 09:55:11 AM
[yt]NXOhN2u5wtY[/yt]

We already had that one, just up the page five posts.

[yt]rk2CRqYSveM[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 19, 2009, 08:29:11 AM
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I and I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." --Bernardo de la Paz, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"I say you cannot administer a wicked law impartially! You can only punish, only destroy. And I warn you: a wicked law, like cholera, destroys everyone that it touches--its upholders as well as its defiers." --Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind
These, along with the quote in my siggy are perhaps my favorite all time quotes.  Now I'd like to add a 4th one to that:

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."—Friedrich Nietzsche
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Lao Tzu

[yt]G3C6R3faKtA[/yt]
Lao Tzu

[yt]pc0pDz2hHpo[/yt]
Lao Tzu