Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

>TotalBiscuit wins an award for journalism at the VGAs
>is pro GamerGate

The salt from anti-#GamerGate is just amazing.

From John Pinette:

"My cholesterol count has a comma."

"[on performing in Las Vegas] It doesn't matter if I lose money at the tables, 'cause I can always make it up at the buffet. $2.98 breakfasts? Hell, I can eat $2.98 worth of toast! I go up to the Prime Rib table and say 'Hit me!'"

"I kind of consider myself ahead of the curve. Or the curves, if you will. It's a common ground that people share: everybody eats. And everybody has an opinion about food."

I miss him. :(
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on December 09, 2014, 01:56:48 PM
From John Pinette:

"My cholesterol count has a comma."

"[on performing in Las Vegas] It doesn't matter if I lose money at the tables, 'cause I can always make it up at the buffet. $2.98 breakfasts? Hell, I can eat $2.98 worth of toast! I go up to the Prime Rib table and say 'Hit me!'"

"I kind of consider myself ahead of the curve. Or the curves, if you will. It's a common ground that people share: everybody eats. And everybody has an opinion about food."

I miss him. :(

[yt]n3Ll5HVIzmc[/yt]

[yt]kzpGiqFBNtQ[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

[wiki][/wiki]
Quote from: evensgrey on December 10, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
They got the crazy right, anyway.

It look like itll at least be more subdued than the video game

[yt]6d6nRUBKdB4[/yt]

Quote from: ArtemisVale on December 10, 2014, 10:51:53 PM
[wiki][/wiki]
It look like itll at least be more subdued than the video game

He dropped from an overpass into a van speeding down a busy city highway, slaughtered the occupants, and took the head off one of the outriders while the van was rolling down the highway, and this is more subdued than the video game.  Must have been a really badly made game.

December 11, 2014, 05:10:57 PM #4527 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:18:04 PM by ArtemisVale
This guy (John Temujin Humphreys) gave a blow by blow list of how to argue with an An-com

QuoteJohn Temujin Humphreys Oh dear... Shayne Hunter (SH) is one of the most intellectually dishonest people you will ever run across, and debating him is a lesson in futility.

Any time he is backed into a corner he will change the topic with an outrageous statement that you will feel the need to debunk... allowing himself to scurry away from the questions he can't answer.

He will repeatedly fall back on already discredited ideas. Among them:

* markets can only exist with help from the state... if you mention that many markets exist without state help (e.g. black markets) he will change the topic and then latter simply repeat that markets can only exist with help from the state.

* landlordism (i.e. renting a house) is wrong because the tenant may not want to pay rent... if you point out that it is a voluntary contract between consenting adults, he will simply deny that it is voluntary because one person might own lots of land. He will almost certainly mention the hypothetical of one person owning 100 houses. That seems to be his magic number.

* voluntary agreements are not voluntary because some people have shitty choices and a shitty life... if you point out that he is confusing "voluntary action" (a process) with "good results" (an outcome) he will say you don't care about outcomes... if you point out that there are generally better outcomes from allowing people the freedom to trade, he will insist that hunter/gatherer societies were happier... if you point out that hunger/gatherer societies also had shitty choices, he will change topic and repeat a previous discredited talking point.

* he will say that he used to be an AnCap... if you point out that he doesn't understand even the basics of AnCap philosophy, he will just keep repeating that he used to be an AnCap.

* private property is violent because if somebody tries to steal from you, then you might try to stop them... if you point out that all systems (including AnCom) will have systems to enforce voluntary contracts, he will ignore that and just probably repeat his discredited landlord point... and if you point out that the enforcement has been voluntarily agreed to in the contract, he will just repeat the word "violence" several times and call you a fascist.

* free people will all naturally join an AnCom society because it is just obviously better... if you point out that the world has a lot of diversity and many people will prefer non-communist communities, he will either deny their existence, say he will not tolerate them, deny them again, and then change the topic.

* businesses include hierarchy so cannot exist in anarchy... if you point out that sports teams, social clubs, lobby groups, charities, etc also have voluntary hierarchy, he will insist they are "different" because he likes them but he doesn't like businesses.

* original anarchists were anti-capitalist... if you point out that many early anarchists (Warren, Spooner, Tucker) were pro-market he will probably quote Proudhon and then repeat a previous discredited talking point.

* he is the real anarchist... if you point out that he consistently argues for bigger government, he will point out that he needs big government to help promote the ethics of anarchy.

My advice is not to bother. Find any other AnCom instead, or debate a five year old about the best flavour jelly beans. And if you do get caught in a debate with him, just keep asking him "if some people voluntarily come together to form a community that has property and trade, how will you stop them?" ... he will dodge the question as much as he can, but eventually he will either have to admit he wants a state apparatus to stop that voluntary community or he will admit that he will tolerate a capitalist trading community.

Either way he's screwed.

December 12, 2014, 04:25:34 PM #4528 Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:12:33 PM by Travis Retriever
https://twitter.com/renegade_roo/status/543516428062572544
"This is what irks about this fandom 'I <3 his art, but I gotta be careful around him cuz he's an asshole' Why are you supporting assholes?"
And my reply:  "It's like many furries support each other just because we're on the same team or something without regard for anything else."
Renegade Roo is awesome. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537