Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: D on July 06, 2014, 03:47:50 PM
This too:
[yt]ZantzARkMwM[/yt]
[yt]aVhp7fWSLZw[/yt]

And laci, if you're confused, I think you'll find this video to be very enlightening:
[yt]AQWoNhrY_fM[/yt]

"BUT I DON'T BELIEVE..."
[yt]OSaT9utl4Ys[/yt]

"BUT I'M A NICE FEMINIST..."
[yt]3o-OcTSeVcs[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-parents-forget-about-being-teenager/

Especially the last paragraph:
"I'm not saying that adulthood wipes the memory like a colonial droid. Time has a way of filtering out the ugly parts of your past until you're left with a heavily Photoshopped version that may look a lot nicer but isn't a truthful reflection. If we don't keep the original raw copy stored away somewhere in our big ol' headface, it's easy for us to blow off modern teen problems as them just being whiny, coddled bitches who have never seen real pain. But if that's what the parents truly think, then the teen isn't the one with the problem."--Emphasis added by me.

And even if it IS true that the teen had an easy life compared to the adult, that doesn't help their case.  If anything, it makes it even worse because their experiences will be so different as to be even LESS applicable to the teen's.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

July 19, 2014, 01:20:47 PM #4172 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:39:43 PM by Travis Retriever

July 19, 2014, 06:13:32 PM #4173 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:16:24 PM by Travis Retriever
"In a free market, the profit signals never lie to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The market signals will always kick you the real deal. The signals of profit and loss is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.”--Me, inspired by Henry Rollins quote posted here:  http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/competitive-mass-whats-your-competition-weight/ trying to explain the economic calculation problem and the idea that actions matter and words do not when it comes to business and transactions.

July 19, 2014, 06:21:00 PM #4174 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:24:46 PM by Travis Retriever
"If all you have to say is bogosity, kindly STFU.  The world's full of enough crap as it is, without you adding to it."--me,
loosely based on that famous quote from Elmo of Sesame Street: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
And a bit from Casey Butt: "The fitness industry is full of enough crap as it is, without these nuts adding to it." in rule one http://www.weightrainer.net/training/rules.html

Quote from: Travis Retriever on July 18, 2014, 02:08:27 AM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-parents-forget-about-being-teenager/

Especially the last paragraph:
"I'm not saying that adulthood wipes the memory like a colonial droid. Time has a way of filtering out the ugly parts of your past until you're left with a heavily Photoshopped version that may look a lot nicer but isn't a truthful reflection. If we don't keep the original raw copy stored away somewhere in our big ol' headface, it's easy for us to blow off modern teen problems as them just being whiny, coddled bitches who have never seen real pain. But if that's what the parents truly think, then the teen isn't the one with the problem."--Emphasis added by me.

And even if it IS true that the teen had an easy life compared to the adult, that doesn't help their case.  If anything, it makes it even worse because their experiences will be so different as to be even LESS applicable to the teen's.

Thanks for that, I was looking for a place to put my next comment, and this provides a perfect sequay without me having to find the original conversation. :)

Some of you may recall some time ago where someone was pointing out that because sex education, teen pregnancies and STD's and such are way down compared to say the 1940's. I was trying to sleep, and my mind wandered a bit, and it occurred to me that maybe it's not a fair comparison, because this having to be 18 for everything is a relatively new thing. I mean, in the '20's and '30's the social norm was for a 16 year old to be married with kids, especially among the working class (meaning those that work in a non-managerial, labor intensive profession for those that want to play the "what do you mean by working class" bogosity), so not really the same context.

Or am I seeing something that isn't there?

@Dallen: Glad you liked it. :)

Anyways...
https://plus.google.com/116593195967885611442/posts/SrVd66qNgJY
I'm quite proud of this post. :)

[yt]PXSgLqkNFrk[/yt]
When Cantwell is on (and not masturbating to his violent revolution fantasy) he is ON. :)

"There exists in society a very special class of persons that I have always referred to as the Believers. These are folks who have chosen to accept a certain religion, philosophy, theory, idea or notion and cling to that belief regardless of any evidence that might, for anyone else, bring it into doubt. They are the ones who encourage and support the fanatics and the frauds of any given age. No amount of evidence, no matter how strong, will bring them any enlightenment. They are the sheep who beg to be fleeced and butchered, and who will battle fiercely to preserve their right to be victimized."--James Randi.

"It is true that the theory of our Constitution is, that all taxes are paid voluntarily; that our government is a mutual insurance company, voluntarily entered into by the people with each other.

[...]

But this theory of our government is wholly different from the practical fact. The fact is that the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: "Your money, or your life." And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat.

The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a "protector," and that he takes men's money against their will, merely to enable him to "protect" those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do. He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful "sovereign," on account of the "protection" he affords you. He does not keep "protecting" you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villainies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave."--Lysander Spooner

I can't believe I didn't post this earlier:  "Holding people to their own words is harsh?  Hardly.  It's called expecting a standard of integrity."--Hawkeye.

Been a while since I've posted something from this guy:

Ludwig von Mises: "Only stilted pedants can conceive the idea that there are absolute norms to tell what is beautiful and what is not. They try to derive from the works of the past a code of rules with which, as they fancy, the writers and artists of the future should comply. But the genius does not cooperate with the pundit." - Theory and History

So true. :)

Quote from: Travis Retriever on July 22, 2014, 02:36:47 PM
Been a while since I've posted something from this guy:

Ludwig von Mises: "Only stilted pedants can conceive the idea that there are absolute norms to tell what is beautiful and what is not. They try to derive from the works of the past a code of rules with which, as they fancy, the writers and artists of the future should comply. But the genius does not cooperate with the pundit." - Theory and History

So true. :)

Yes, the "norms" of any given society are fluid, although not related to "works" of any kind, I have a perfect example:

I weigh about 120 lbs @ 5'6" and I have since I entered high-school. By 1986 standards, I was exactly average. By 2014 standards, I am "severely underweight".

[yt]2ECgS4Vih40[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox