Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 31, 2014, 08:07:09 PM #4065 Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:15:28 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 31, 2014, 07:34:54 PM
MY SIDES! ;D :D

yeah, ADHD is generally awesome. Heather Ann Campbell narrated a few of the "SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE" Series: I give them a B in terms of accuracy, but only because I'm feeling generous (because she's really good at giving me a laugh). Notice one theme that keeps repeating :P

[yt]_1v_EcjeIkg[/yt]

[yt]aqW5upASa-8[/yt]

[yt]IYNaEM2O5pU[/yt]

[yt]NFy3gHWF5oo[/yt]

[yt]ZnE3uyj9Grg[/yt]

[yt]qeOS8gK2OZE[/yt]

[yt]UbBaSfgNJnE[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 31, 2014, 08:07:09 PM
yeah, ADHD is generally awesome. Heather Ann Campbell narrated a few of the "SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE" Series: I give them a B in terms of accuracy, but only because I'm feeling generous (because she's really good at giving me a laugh). Notice one theme that keeps repeating :P

[yt]_1v_EcjeIkg[/yt]

[yt]aqW5upASa-8[/yt]

[yt]IYNaEM2O5pU[/yt]

[yt]NFy3gHWF5oo[/yt]

[yt]ZnE3uyj9Grg[/yt]

[yt]qeOS8gK2OZE[/yt]

[yt]UbBaSfgNJnE[/yt]
I should not have watched those first two while eating. >.<* Thank goodness I have a strong stomach (and didn't vomit). lol
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

http://lordthawkeye.deviantart.com/journal/Abortion-since-I-haven-t-covered-it-382518716
My comment regarding the above (also win) DA journal:

"It isn't an issue you can draw an exact line." (quoting Hawkeye's journal on the subject)
I'd say Murry Rothbard did a good job of just that:

"The proper groundwork for analysis of abortion is in every man's absolute right of self-ownership. This implies immediately that every woman has the absolute right to her own body, that she has absolute dominion over her body and everything within it. This includes the fetus. Most fetuses are in the mother's womb because the mother consents to this situation, but the fetus is there by the mother's freely-granted consent. But should the mother decide that she does not want the fetus there any longer, then the fetus becomes a parasitic 'invader' of her person, and the mother has the perfect right to expel this invader from her domain. Abortion should be looked upon, not as 'murder' of a living person, but as the expulsion of an unwanted invader from the mother's body.2 Any laws restricting or prohibiting abortion are therefore invasions of the rights of mothers.

It has been objected that since the mother originally consented to the conception, the mother has therefore 'contracted' its status with the fetus, and may not 'violate' that 'contract' by having an abortion. There are many problems with this doctrine, however. In the first place, as we shall see further below, a mere promise is not an enforceable contract: contracts are only properly enforceable if their violation involves implicit theft, and clearly no such consideration can apply here. Secondly, there is obviously no 'contract' here, since the fetus (fertilized ovum?) can hardly be considered a voluntarily and consciously contracting entity. And thirdly as we have seen above, a crucial point in libertarian theory is the inalienability of the will, and therefore the impermissibility of enforcing voluntary slave contracts. Even if this had been a 'contract,' then, it could not be enforced
because a mother's will is inalienable, and she cannot legitimately be enslaved into carrying and having a baby against her will.

Another argument of the anti-abortionists is that the fetus is a living human being, and is therefore entitled to all of the rights of human beings. Very good; let us concede, for purposes of the discussion, that fetuses are human beings—or, more broadly, potential human beings—and are therefore entitled to full human rights. But what humans, we may ask, have the right to be coercive parasites within the body of an unwilling human host? Clearly no born humans have such a right, and therefore, a fortiori, the fetus can have no such right either."--Murray N. Rothbard, The Ethics of Liberty p. 98

Also, the sentiment on the extremes reminds me of something.  It's like a shopkeeper who doesn't let blacks or gays go into his shop or a woman who wants and will have her baby, but chain smokes and drinks and does drugs while pregnant--you do have the right since it's your property/body, but it doesn't make you less of an asshole for doing so--is my thoughts on that.

As for it being illegal to add to what you posted (yes, I paraphrase Shane mostly for this next part),
When abortion is illegal, you also get atrocities like this:  http://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-denied-a-termination-dies-in-hospital-1.551412
A woman--who very much wanted her baby--lost it, but it wouldn't miscarry. Since abortions are illegal in Ireland, they couldn't terminate; they had to wait THREE DAYS (with the woman in excruciating pain) for the baby to spontaneously abort--and then the woman died of septicemia. "Pro-life" MY FUCKING ASS!!!

Most people would make an exception in the case of when the mother's life was in danger, but Ireland makes that exception, too. Her life WASN'T in danger at the time. It was only at the end, when the pregnancy self-terminated, that she was at risk for septicemia--but by then it was too late.

An anti-abortion advocate can say that it's true it sounded like an exception, and yes, there will always be potential issues with pregnancy including life-threatening ones.  But there will ALWAYS be exceptions that politicians aren't able to predict and that's why it *can't* be made illegal.

An anti-abortion advocate could also say that that's why laws should be written to minimize the loss of life and liberty including that of the unborn child.  But in addition to being vague and flowery, that still requires legislators to be omniscient! Either that, or to write the laws so vaguely it's hard to know exactly WHAT they mean in any given situation.
--Me, on abortion.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on June 01, 2014, 12:03:53 AM
An anti-abortion advocate could also say that that's why laws should be written to minimize the loss of life and liberty including that of the unborn child.  But in addition to being vague and flowery, that still requires legislators to be omniscient! Either that, or to write the laws so vaguely it's hard to know exactly WHAT they mean in any given situation.

Well, that's pretty much all forms of Statism, everywhere, at all times: Government is filled with magic people who somehow always know better than everyone else, no matter what. It's called the Cult of the Omnipotent State for a reason, after all.

Minor nitpick on the Spider-Man one. The webbing was Sam Raimis screw up. in the source materiel and literaly every other incarnation of the character the webs are an artificial chemical compound made by Peter and shot from wrist mounted devices.

Quote from: tnu on June 01, 2014, 04:32:08 AM
Minor nitpick on the Spider-Man one. The webbing was Sam Raimis screw up. in the source materiel and literaly every other incarnation of the character the webs are an artificial chemical compound made by Peter and shot from wrist mounted devices.

Actually, that's not entirely true. While MOST incarnations go with the artificial route, the movie series staring Toby McGuire does not. Regardless of what you think of that trilogy, Marvel does acknowledge it as its own alternate universe. I'm sure there are other incarnations that have that as well.

Quote from: D on June 01, 2014, 07:53:31 AM
Actually, that's not entirely true. While MOST incarnations go with the artificial route, the movie series staring Toby McGuire does not. Regardless of what you think of that trilogy, Marvel does acknowledge it as its own alternate universe. I'm sure there are other incarnations that have that as well.

Those were the Sam Raimi movies he was talking about.

June 01, 2014, 07:20:36 PM #4073 Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:42:00 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on June 01, 2014, 05:56:10 PM

Rand Paul is a libertarian in the same way O'Doul's is a beer.  I love it. XD

[yt]lrVu_gKl7Rk[/yt]

>my face when Shane goes after Minimum Wage arguments again

[yt]mAUY1J8KizU[/yt]

Quote from: D on June 02, 2014, 06:15:00 PM
[yt]lrVu_gKl7Rk[/yt]

>my face when Shane goes after Minimum Wage arguments again

[yt]mAUY1J8KizU[/yt]

Already dead? More like a zombie, because they keep on coming back no matter how many times you put them down.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: AnCapBrony on June 04, 2014, 01:12:37 AM

Guy in the comic is exactly one bauxite cluon ahead of all the "wage slavery" apologists I've seen.
Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 02, 2012, 11:11:08 AM
Amazing, isn't it? Wherever you have athletics, bogosity isn't far behind.
Speaking of which, http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-scenes-from-world-cup-right-out-dystopian-future/
Of course the World Cup would be the one to compete with the Olympics in terms of this kind of crap...

Quote from: Travis Retriever on June 04, 2014, 05:48:31 PM
Speaking of which, http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-scenes-from-world-cup-right-out-dystopian-future/
Of course the World Cup would be the one to compete with the Olympics in terms of this kind of crap...

You got any OTHER sporting events that are always moving to a new location every time, often in states with, at best, highly questionable behavior towards their own citizens?