Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: evensgrey on May 20, 2014, 08:20:43 AM
I would, actually, but for a reason you probably didn't consider: Kenneth Miller has written only one textbook (at least, as far as I can find reference to), and it's a highschool biology textbook.  I would expect a category greater depth for the textbook used in any post-secondary course.

you're right: as far as can be told, only one textbook can be attributed to him. but actually, it's a pretty good one--considering it is a highschool textbook. I once looted one off a deadbeat student: the person had abandoned the book, and was later found to have dropped out. helped myself.  :P

(in case you're wondering: abandoned and looted books were my number 1 source of books while in college: you'd be surprised at how many books are just thrown into a box and left by a garbage can or out in the rain.)
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 20, 2014, 09:02:39 PM
[Y]ou'd be surprised at how many books are just thrown into a box and left by a garbage can or out in the rain.

I'm surprised how many people just leave their book on the desk after taking the final (mostly by non-majors).  If I weren't so ethical, I (not to mention the department as a whole) could make a surprising amount of money selling them.  And if I had my way, we would give them to low income or other disadvantaged students.  But no, professors have to try to return them (I just send an email with a deadline for response) and then give them to the department head.  He gives them to someone in the college administration.  No one I've talked to seem to know where they go from there; just a long chain of "I give it to so and so."

But from your description: I could have made a good living in grad school, if not for my mysophobia.

Quote from: BogosityForumUser on May 20, 2014, 11:15:31 PM
I'm surprised how many people just leave their book on the desk after taking the final (mostly by non-majors).  If I weren't so ethical, I (not to mention the department as a whole) could make a surprising amount of money selling them (N.B. ethics don't enter into this--see below).  And if I had my way, we would give them to low income or other disadvantaged students (now THAT is ethical!).  But no, professors have to try to return them (I just send an email with a deadline for response) and then give them to the department head.  He gives them to someone in the college administration.  No one I've talked to seem to know where they go from there; just a long chain of "I give it to so and so."

But from your description: I could have made a good living in grad school, if not for my mysophobia.

there's nothing unethical about making money off of these books in their stead (at least as far as I see it/saw it). one should  have no more qualms about it than one does about dumpster diving: the books were abandoned, and you know what happens when Admins get a hold of it. And as you said, there are better ideas anyways regarding what to do with them: give it to those who have not the money.

anyways: finding these books(or anything really) takes a while, and isn't as easy as it sounds (mysophobia aside): I only got good at it because I needed to eat, and didn't mind the money/additions to the private library.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

May 23, 2014, 12:52:27 AM #4025 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:03:18 AM by Ibrahim90
[yt]Z18wzXySuoA[/yt]

Imagine the US government doing this instead: good luck with that.

-Jesse Cox

"I've always found it hypocritical of the left to whine about the right's enforcement of morality in the bedroom, while they insist on enforcing it in the wallet!"--Shane in the comments of one of his videos way back when.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

May 25, 2014, 01:00:40 PM #4028 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:06:04 PM by Travis Retriever
Well, since no one else has posted it here:

[yt]mIJhAE85NGE[/yt]

One thing I call bullshit on--no, people are not "inherently evil/stupid" yada yada yada original sin yada.  We're the species that put all our chips into our brains and our ability to socialize, so knock off the self aggrandizing already.  As Stef pointed out, there is no such thing as human nature.  It's just a cop out argument used by people who want to sound smart.  And same with the snipe at big pharma too...grief.  We have enough conspiracy pillocks in this movement already kthxbai.

Quote from: Travis Retriever on May 25, 2014, 01:00:40 PM
Well, since no one else has posted it here:

[yt]mIJhAE85NGE[/yt]

One thing I call bullshit on--no, people are not "inherently evil/stupid" yada yada yada original sin yada.  We're the species that put all our chips into our brains and our ability to socialize, so knock off the self aggrandizing already.  As Stef pointed out, there is no such thing as human nature.  It's just a cop out argument used by people who want to sound smart.  And same with the snipe at big pharma too...grief.  We have enough conspiracy pillocks in this movement already kthxbai.

yeah, what Cantwell said in fact sounds legalist in part--specifically the school of Li Si: it holds that people are inherently evil.

-Jesse Cox

May 26, 2014, 08:36:08 AM #4030 Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:46:46 AM by Travis Retriever
Harsh, but true:
[yt]tqfUmbLAOz4[/yt]

A conversation on it that simply needs to be posted here:

Izzy Trollin:  Redistribute all the vagina!!
Lord Hawkeye:  I know right?  Take any of their arguments and replace money with some other resource and look how it sounds.
Izzy Trollin:  He was oppressed by private ownership over the means of reproduction.
johnny chimpo:  lol, I'll donate money to your agenda, you have a paypal account?
Christopher Cantwell:  +Izzy Trollin HAHAHA! Oh, I wish YouTube had featured comments right now, because that's fuckin hysterical
Michael J.:  +Izzy Trollin Quality comment, mate. Haha.
Izzy Trollin:  +Christopher Cantwell I don't see whats funny about the plight of the jerkin class. We need to unite and demand our rights. How can you raise a family on socks alone.

Bonus bit from TheMrAncap: "How did he possibly shoot anyone when it was illegal to do it????"

[yt]Am1yqUJtwpI[/yt]
MY SIDES!  :D ;D

[yt]p_2MUenYJ6o[/yt]