Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://blamethe1st.deviantart.com/journal/STFU-About-Male-Privilege-441275466
*Standing Ovation!* Someone just earned a +fav of that journal *and* a cluon from me on this board. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: D on March 17, 2014, 06:40:26 PM
I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Glenn Beck deserves credit for this one. I might not be a brony, in fact I think the whole thing is a little weird, but that doesn't matter. No one has the right to bully others because they don't like what someone else likes.

"We are having a moment of solidarity for a kid who had the balls to be different."

[yt]D9nocjmBwgI[/yt]

This is one of those moments when we get a new addition to the list of people you can put in the phrase "You're completely out to lunch when X calls you on your bullshit."

Speaking of 'privilege'

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]O06acUXAOFQ[/yt]
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

March 20, 2014, 03:23:29 PM #3770 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:31:05 PM by Travis Retriever
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-real-diseases-that-have-somehow-become-trendy/
Well said, Christina. :)  I guess the Tumblr SJWs missed that article.

March 20, 2014, 04:24:42 PM #3772 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:40:16 PM by Travis Retriever
From our own Lord T Hawkeye:
"One of the biggest ironies and my personal fav: For all people's talk about the evil white slavemasters, here's a question for those folks: Who was it who actually first took a moral stand against slavery even while Africa was still largely defending it tooth and nail?"

[in response to being told it was because Lincoln]

"Popular answer but also wrong.  Abe Lincoln was a tyrant who gave not two damns about the plight of slaves.  That was a convenient political excuse for him.

No, the answer was the so called evil white guys.  The British risked life and limb to thwart slave ships.  The abolitionists in the US were almost all white guys.  In fact, look through history at situations where people rose up and opposed tyranny and you always find white guys at the front lines.
Is it any wonder why tyrants and control freaks try so hard to shame white guys into silence?"

EDIT:  Forgot to include the video with the comments:
[yt]TnMqKcm5Y2o[/yt]
(Disclaimer:  I haven't watched it, I'm just posting it here for the sake of completeness.)

Quote from: Travis Retriever on March 20, 2014, 04:24:42 PM
From our own Lord T Hawkeye:
"One of the biggest ironies and my personal fav: For all people's talk about the evil white slavemasters, here's a question for those folks: Who was it who actually first took a moral stand against slavery even while Africa was still largely defending it tooth and nail?"

[in response to being told it was because Lincoln]

"Popular answer but also wrong.  Abe Lincoln was a tyrant who gave not two damns about the plight of slaves.  That was a convenient political excuse for him.

Abraham Lincoln publicly advocated the following Constitutional amendment, known as the Corwin Amendment (proposed by Congress on March 2, 1861, AFTER 7 states had already seceded): "No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

Yep, Lincoln wanted to KEEP SLAVERY PERMANENT, unable to be abolished EVEN BY CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. There's your Great Emancipator, people.

(Interesting footnote: in 1864, a Senate resolution attempted to withdraw the Corwin Amendment. It failed.)

March 20, 2014, 05:24:19 PM #3774 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:35:47 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]-d4Rq-_6IGM[/yt]
"  First they came for the Atheists, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Atheist.

Then they came for the Gamers, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Gamer.

Then they came for the Bronies, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Brony.

Then they came for the Comedians, and I did not speak out--Because I was not a Comedian.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me."
--Me, inspired by Martin Niemöller

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 20, 2014, 04:57:54 PM
Abraham Lincoln publicly advocated the following Constitutional amendment, known as the Corwin Amendment (proposed by Congress on March 2, 1861, AFTER 7 states had already seceded): "No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

Yep, Lincoln wanted to KEEP SLAVERY PERMANENT, unable to be abolished EVEN BY CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. There's your Great Emancipator, people.

(Interesting footnote: in 1864, a Senate resolution attempted to withdraw the Corwin Amendment. It failed.)

I'm fairly sure that even had it been passed, no such Amendment could be effective. All that would be needed is another Amendment repealing it, and the problem goes away.

Lincoln, of course, would never have understood that, but I don't think any president since Jefferson has had any real grasp of Constitutional law.

Quote from: evensgrey on March 20, 2014, 06:29:24 PM
I'm fairly sure that even had it been passed, no such Amendment could be effective. All that would be needed is another Amendment repealing it, and the problem goes away.

True, but beside the point. Lincoln was in favor of anything that helped whatever his political goals were at the time. If that meant surrendering on the slavery issue (not that he was a really big opponent before then anyway, the Lincoln-Douglas debates notwithstanding) to keep the union together, he'd do it!

Quote from: evensgrey on March 20, 2014, 06:29:24 PM

Lincoln, of course, would never have understood that, but I don't think any president since Jefferson Madison has had any real grasp of Constitutional law.

give Madison a break: he wrote the document.

I suppose Cleveland came closest, but who remembers him?
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 20, 2014, 06:49:17 PM
True, but beside the point. Lincoln was in favor of anything that helped whatever his political goals were at the time. If that meant surrendering on the slavery issue (not that he was a really big opponent before then anyway, the Lincoln-Douglas debates notwithstanding) to keep the union together, he'd do it!

Wasn't he documented as actually saying that if abolishing slavery would keep the Union, he would do that; or if maintaining slavery would keep the Union, he would do that? Or is that just dramatic license?

Quote from: dallen68 on March 21, 2014, 12:09:46 AM
Wasn't he documented as actually saying that if abolishing slavery would keep the Union, he would do that; or if maintaining slavery would keep the Union, he would do that? Or is that just dramatic license?

He said things like that on several occasions.