Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

[yt]P0ukYf_xvgc[/yt]

[yt]60wRApzBPtA[/yt]

"There's a reason why it's called political correctness: because politics is bullshit!"

From the comments of this video (not a win):

[yt]KEvwzbjTJfU[/yt]

"Modern feminism is about pushing misandristic propaganda, not equal rights." -- bryosgirl
The only flaw with this being the word "Modern" as far as I can tell, it was ALWAYS like that.  Though I could be wrong.

"No true Scotsman fallacy.

All the big time feminists out there are pushing the misandry, the victim complex, the self entitlement and all the rest of the package. If that's really not true feminism, where's all the "real" feminists shouting these idiots down?" -- Lord T Hawkeye
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 30, 2013, 03:07:29 AM
From the comments of this video (not a win):

[yt]KEvwzbjTJfU[/yt]

"Modern feminism is about pushing misandristic propaganda, not equal rights." -- bryosgirl
The only flaw with this being the word "Modern" as far as I can tell, it was ALWAYS like that.  Though I could be wrong.

"No true Scotsman fallacy.

All the big time feminists out there are pushing the misandry, the victim complex, the self entitlement and all the rest of the package. If that's really not true feminism, where's all the "real" feminists shouting these idiots down?" -- Lord T Hawkeye

It's not really clear whether you're saying the video is not a win, or the comments on the video are not a win. Some of each seem to have valid points, although some of what the video portrayed is illegible.

Quote from: dallen68 on August 30, 2013, 02:04:00 PM
It's not really clear whether you're saying the video is not a win, or the comments on the video are not a win. Some of each seem to have valid points, although some of what the video portrayed is illegible.
How is it unclear?  I put my thoughts near all of them.  Except Hawkeye's, as it was rather blatantly win. :P
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 30, 2013, 02:44:54 PM
How is it unclear?  I put my thoughts near all of them.  Except Hawkeye's, as it was rather blatantly win. :P

I think he was talking about your sentence, "From the comments of this video (not a win)." Does the "not a win" part refer to the comments or to the video?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 30, 2013, 02:53:50 PM
I think he was talking about your sentence, "From the comments of this video (not a win)." Does the "not a win" part refer to the comments or to the video?

Yes, that was what I was referring to.

Referring to the video.  I've always done it that way and no one else ever had any issues with it.  I learned in English that the closer the pro-noun (or whatever you call what I put near it :P) is, would be the one it goes with as a rule of thumb.

August 30, 2013, 03:33:19 PM #3087 Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:41:36 PM by dallen68
Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 30, 2013, 03:22:39 PM
Referring to the video.  I've always done it that way and no one else ever had any issues with it.  I learned in English that the closer the pro-noun (or whatever you call what I put near it :P) is, would be the one it goes with as a rule of thumb.

In this case, I'd call it a qualifying clause. In any case, thanks for clearing that up. In this case, the meaning of the sentence is different if "the comments on this video" is taken as the subject, or "this video" is taken as the subject.

August 30, 2013, 08:47:25 PM #3088 Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:49:29 PM by nilecroc
[yt]Xi8eLSyb7RM[/yt]
  8)

[yt]gaE-WLe8DU8[/yt]

Would this go in here? I'm not sure whether I agree completely or not.