Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 31, 2013, 05:06:06 PM
just noticed this--figured I'd share the lulz:

the ghulat? yeah, they're pretty famous (or infamous). their extremism is mostly theological though (save the last one: their more like what you'd expect). the really crazy (physically) sects have either been of the khawarij or the Sunnis. Shi'ism must be counted as the most lenient sect among those still around--even counting the stuff in Iran today.

The ghulat themselves are largely extinct AFAIK. some pretty interesting beliefs though:

1-bazighiyya: believe that Ja'far as-sadiq was God.
2-dhammiyya (lit. blamerism or haterism): Ali b. abi talib was God, Muhammad was the messenger.
3-ghurabiyya (lit. ravenism): most common one: believed Gabriel fucked up, by sending revelations to Muhammad instead of Ali. They attribute this to some perceived identical traits between the two, such that they were to the ghurabis as two ravens (hence the name).
4-ya'furiyya: some dude from Kufa was God, and that he ordained everything was to be cyclical (like Hinduism, complete with reincarnation).
5-Kaysaniyya: think of a version of Islam that is trinitarian. with the father being God, the son being Muhammad ibn al-hanafiyyah, and the other son was Ali b. abi talib. a sub-section of them called "khorasaniyya", add a fourth person.
6-Hurufiyya (lit. "Letterism"): Shi'ite Panentheism, believing God's essence was in every atom. Nuqtawiyya (lit. "pointism") shi'ites are a sub-set who give a cyclical timeline to the universe (w/o reincarnation).
7-Soldiers of heaven: bat-shit people who wanted to kill everyone and everything not them, in order to bring back the 12th imam and usher in the apocalypse (kinda like some strains of fundamentalist Christianity). believed some dude named Dia' abd uz-zahra' was the Imam. they were active in Iraq during the insurgency.

compare that to these specimens: first, the Khawarij:

1-the azariqah (lit. "blue ones"): these were active in the Umayyad period. believed sinning, no matter how trivial, automatically made you a non-believer, and eligible for the death penalty. yeah, I wish I was making this shit up.

and the Sunnies:

1-wahhabiyya: you guys know this one.
2-Qutbiyya: this is what people often call "salafi", but is in fact a subset of the salafiyya (which I don't consider inherently extreme as a whole, due to the diversity of forms).
3-certain Islamic fundamentalists: these do not fall into a special sect or sub-section, as they come from otherwise more lenient jurisprudence (e.g. Hamas are IIRC traditionally Shafi'i, whilst those from Aceh are Maliki).

of course, when discussing these, one must remember that Islam in modern times (post 1920) is a more conservative religion as a whole than Christianity or Judaism, or even what it was in the past. this is due to a variety of factors, which would make this post too long.

As to Pat Condell? I mostly have issues with his line of reasoning on what's going on in Europe and America (some of which would be contradicted by that machete wielding tosser), as well as his absurd and one sided view on the Palestinian/Israeli problem (a problem I have with anyone who is entirely one sided for either Palestinians or Israelis). I cannot judge the truth of his statement about fan mail and who he refers to, though with some of the crap he's said....

pretty diverse beliefs

June 01, 2013, 11:39:03 AM #2566 Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:57:41 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
"Money management is only tricky if you think money should be managed."--djsherin in the comments of this video
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: some German comedian who grew up in the third Reich.uh eeh! eech-unh! uga oich eech! eh up-op....That's what it sounded like to me, so of course I copied them. It didn't make me popular with my Hitler youth leaders, but what else could you do, except make fun of it? You had no idea what they wanted, so when they said "Left! Right!", "Left! Right", it sounded like "Death! Die! Death! Die!"--it was hilarious! The military's Hilarious anyway!
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

June 01, 2013, 07:33:18 PM #2568 Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:40:06 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Thanks to Hawkeye for making me aware of this:

[spoiler]"If Winston did an article about women...

5) You Want Something from a Romantic Partner You Should Be Getting Somewhere Else

You want to have more self-esteem? You'd better get it from achieving something in life, because that's not the job of your future partner. Men are not you emotional tampons or your source of validation and men are not someone who will fix you if you a total wreck.

4) You're Looking for an Endorsement of Your Single Life

You are pushing 40, and have a large collection of cats. Or maybe you know all the clubs in your town by heart. Approximately 77 percent of your dating profile is a massive itemized list of things you do or do not want in a man. You're looking for a cheerleader for your big pile of Single Person Stuff, but you have that pile BECAUSE you're single. This makes you for some reason very likely to invade Poland.

3) You Don't See Other People as People

If you ever told someone you are 146 times taller than you actually are, chances are that you are starring in the Honey, I shrunk the kids series. You don't see men as people, which is why you think you can say hurtful crap of the kind you'd never say about any other group and still expect them to come back for more. Like everyone else, you've probably grown up watching a lot of movies, and the thing about movies is that the stories that offer the most escapism by nature give you the least accurate picture of the real world. These movies are known as romantic comedies. Only in them can a hunk of a person take all a manner of abuse from the main heroine, including physical violence for perceived slights, and still end up with her at the end of the movie. If you don't treat men with the most basic respect you'll end up with only one of the two types of man: an abusive jerk, or a wimp. Something you're clearly not doing already, because you have the dating profile of the heroine, the protagonist, the One True Human, who is intrinsically attractive without having to grow as a person.

2) You're a Genuinely Bad Person and Deserve to Die Alone in Mustard-Stained Sweatpants

There is of course that special set of people who ... suck. Do you think that men are all conniving bastards who oppress you in a grand conspiracy called the patriarchy? Do you think everyone who differs from you in even minor ways, like say the genitals between their legs, is by nature subhuman? Are you looking for a glorified trained puppy dog as opposed to a romantic partner because you essentially hate human beings? Do you boast that having more power means a greater ability to hurt men or that men are only good for f*cking and being run over by a truck? Have fun with that Russian spambot since evil people never get laid and are always destined to die alone.

1) Being ''used''.

Let's not beat around the bush: If you have ever cried about "being used for sex" unironically, then I'm afraid you're not ready to participate in society. Oh, we'd love to have you, but with the lineup we've got, we can't see you making it off the bench. For those blissfully ignorant of the concept, the being used is that unbearable set of circumstances in which a person of the opposite sex is ... having sex with you! As if life wasn't hard enough already, now you have ALL THESE GODDAMN SEX PARTNERS.

Sex is an endgame state, with a little flag and triumphant music and anywhere from one to six fireworks, depending on how long it took to complete the stage. And romance? That's the secret bonus level -- and if it wasn't, more people would have f*****g found it. So when another person wants to have sex with you, it's absurd to presume that the two of you are moving in the exact wrong direction.

If sex isn't good enough, then what else isn't good enough? Is it ... everything? I hope not. Work on being everyone's cumbucket for now, and then (surprise) maybe you'll find you become the kind of person whose dating profile is that of someone who genuinely seems mature and well-liked. What do you have to lose, other than a ''reputation'' or ''self-esteem''?" --XIO666, comments of the linked article[/spoiler]

Another he shared was that of manwomanmyth on youtube.  I'm not actually subbed to this, so I can't cite the specific videos, but thought I'd at least share the following from the AIM convo:
"Had a series on 'Irresponsible mothers'
Calling women to task for having children with men they know were not committed to fatherhood yet try to play the victim card, having children for selfish reasons, and women who do drugs while pregnant and yet even they manage to get sympathy.  'Where we would arrest men, we merely shake our heads at best at female misbehavior.'"
But the best was this bit from him:
"Showed this interview with this fellow who when presented with some women saying 'Why are there no good men?' he told them exactly why
'Because you have a bad attitude and good men want nothing to do with you'"
Hits the nail on the head really.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

June 01, 2013, 09:19:30 PM #2569 Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:58:22 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: VectorM on April 07, 2013, 10:46:46 AM
OMG, dude, seriously, this SEXIST shit again? NAFALT! NAFALT!

"I personally don't accept the 'Not All Feminists Are Like That!'/'vocal minority' excuse for one simple reason.
If that truly is the case, where are all the 'real' feminists shouting these idiots down? If fair minded feminists with working brains really exist, their silence is deafening." -- Lord T Hawkeye, in the comments of this video

Unless you were saying so 'ironically' or sarcastically, in which case, nvm. :P  Still a good quote from Hawkeye (the NAFALT bit added by me. :3).

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

"Neo-conservatives are just ex-Trotskyist commies. They all suck." --deathtotyrants76 (Militant-Mike1), top rated comment of this video

Quote from: Goaticus on June 02, 2013, 10:15:05 PM

Yet she has armed bodyguards to protect her. I don't why my fellow Californians just does not get it through their thick skulls she is not worth voting for. Frustrating ain't it. A libertarian in a sea of dumbasses.

Quote from: Skm1091 on June 02, 2013, 10:31:07 PM
Yet she has armed bodyguards to protect her. I don't why my fellow Californians just does not get it through their thick skulls she is not worth voting for. Frustrating ain't it. A libertarian in a sea of dumbasses.
You live in California?  So sorry for your pain.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 02, 2013, 11:01:02 PM
You live in California?  So sorry for your pain.

Yup, I live in Los Angeles County. The only redeeming thing about my state is probably Universal Studios, Knotts and Disneyland LOL.

well, for the record skm1091, I feel sorry for you, and anyone else who has to deal with California. The sooner plate tectonics do their job, the better.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 02, 2013, 11:29:32 PM
well, for the record skm1091, I feel sorry for you, and anyone else who has to deal with California. The sooner plate tectonics do their job, the better.

Pretty much. What state do you have deal with? Out of the states mine is probably one of the worst if not THE worst LOL.

"You're clealry not opposed to robbig me at gunpoint but not even you would shoot an unarmed man. It's simple logic!"