Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 02, 2013, 10:54:43 AM #2295 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:09:34 AM by Ibrahim90
"Stand firm for what you believe in...until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked, he is naked. The truth and the lie are not sort of the same thing. And there is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that can't be improved with Pizza."

-Daria, from that weird cartoon about...Daria....called Daria....

oh, and this:

[yt]Id2e6VX-kAo[/yt]

nothing like biting commentary from the show that set the bar for how messed up it is.

and yes, the Daria in that clip is also the Daria from the show.

I seriously had a messed up childhood.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Shame we'll never see THIS for a State of the Union address:
[yt]B5ELyG9V1SY[/yt]

March 04, 2013, 02:03:37 PM #2298 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:57:50 PM by MrBogosity
How awesome—I, Pencil in Arabic Farsi!

(Thought of you when I saw this, Ibrahim.)

(This was published in Iran. Apparently more people in Iran speak Farsi than Arabic. I didn't know that.)

thanks for the thought, but I'm afraid It's not in Arabic.  :P

it uses a modified version of the script, yes, but it is not in Arabic. Actually, I don't have an idea what language it is.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on March 04, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

it uses a modified version of the script, yes, but it is not in Arabic. Actually, I don't have an idea what language it is.

I think it's either Urdu or Farsi.

Well, blech. They said Arabic on the Facebook page.

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on March 04, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

Now, I am intrigued.

Two obvious questions come to mind:

Are there any other languages that share script with Arabic?

Does it actually look like a language, or just random letters?

Quote from: evensgrey on March 04, 2013, 02:50:01 PM
Now, I am intrigued.

Two obvious questions come to mind:

Are there any other languages that share script with Arabic?

plenty actually: Persian, Urdu, Pashtun, some Turkic languages, several Berber dialects (alongside latin and the native script of the Berbers), Ottoman Turkish (not modern Turkish--that uses a latin script), Kurdish, etc.

it has to do with when the Arabs conquered all the regions around them, especially with the spread of of the Arabic language, and Islam.

Quote from: evensgrey on March 04, 2013, 02:50:01 PMDoes it actually look like a language, or just random letters?

it's definitely some sort of language (if it's fake, it's pretty consistent). could be Persian, though I can't find the word for "is" (which in Persian is "est"). It's not urdu though: it has an unmistakable script (it resembles the "ruq'ah" font for Arabic, and has certain unique letters, like a raa' with a miniature ta' over it, ڑ)

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on March 04, 2013, 04:04:23 PMit's definitely some sort of language (if it's fake, it's pretty consistent). could be Persian, though I can't find the word for "is" (which in Persian is "est"). It's not urdu though: it has an unmistakable script (it resembles the "ruq'ah" font for Arabic, and has certain unique letters, like a raa' with a miniature ta' over it, ڑ)

I'm being told now that it's Farsi. It was made in Iran, and apparently more people in Iran speak Farsi than Arabic.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 04, 2013, 04:16:49 PM
I'm being told now that it's Farsi. It was made in Iran, and apparently more people in Iran speak Farsi than Arabic.

so it is Persian? OK.

(yes, Farsi=modern Persian).

-Jesse Cox

http://www.cracked.com/article_20290_5-famous-online-copyright-crusaders-who-are-total-hypocrites.html

Because, you see--those laws are for the peons and little people; not the glitterati, politicians and social elite.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on March 06, 2013, 07:04:00 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_20290_5-famous-online-copyright-crusaders-who-are-total-hypocrites.html

Because, you see--those laws are for the peons and little people; not the glitterati, politicians and social elite.

Comments are filled with fail though. Gotta love this type of comment "Herp derp, we just need to make it so that corporations don't abuse copyrights, otherwise copyrights are fine and without them there would be CHAOS, ANARCHY!!!!". Paraphrased, obviously.