Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ibrahim90 on February 14, 2013, 08:38:55 PM
you know, with every day, I lose more and more hope in a bright future: no work, less job openings every day I look, and a government that just doesn't give a fuck, and keeps right on screwing us over.

part of me just wants to shut off all outside communication: hopefully if I do it long enough, I'll be declared legally dead, and won't have to pay my loans off.

yeah, that's how depressing the state of the Union Address was. Schiff's words didn't help. yet I know he's right.

You know what I think? I think we should let them spend. The more and faster the better. Once the shit hits the fan and the economy goes bust then they will finally see that they were fools and suffer the consequences.

Sounds hopeless doesn't it? I don't have much hope for the near future either.

Quote from: Goaticus on February 15, 2013, 09:21:54 PM

The situation in the UK might be even worse.  In the summer of 2005, there was an incident where a couple of Special Branch (London Metropolitan Police counter-terrorism unit) guys panicked and killed a random person, and completely blew the entire surveillance operation they were supposed to be conducting.  (And they did it because they didn't know what the people they were interested in looked like, despite Special Branch having photos of everyone they were interested in for the operation available.  Apparently their jobs weren't supposed to involve knowing who they were supposed to be watching.)  There was a rather ham-fisted attempt at a coverup, involving trying to claim that the officers were responding to reports of a man in a bulky coat vaulting the turnstile at the subway entrance and running through the station.  This was completely impossible, since the reports turned out to be about the officers themselves.  (The victim had quite sedately walked into the station, paid his fair properly, bought a newspaper, stepped aboard the train, sat down, started reading...and then two men accosted him, he stood up, one tackled him, and the other emptied his handgun into the guys head at point blank range.)

People in the UK were much more upset about the attempted coverup than the fact their police had started to murder random people in public because the police were being idiots.

I recently learned that the shooter was back on regular duty before the investigation was even completed.  The victim's family was surprised as well, particularly as they learned about this in the context of the next time the guy killed someone.  (The shooter turns out to be a specially trained officer permitted to carry a firearm in his normal duties, unlike most police in the UK who are only armed if assigned unusual duties requiring a firearm.)  The fact he killed someone else soon after is extremely disturbing as well.  Most police officers who kill someone in the line of duty that wasn't the result of the officer completely fucking up don't tend to return to normal duty for a long time afterwards, if ever.

February 17, 2013, 07:09:14 AM #2267 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:11:25 AM by MrBogosity
This video is old but its a pure work of art.

[yt]KXNRzI64L9Q[/yt]

[yt]u9_RcD6WMmM[/yt]

Glenn Beck status:
[]Not told
[]Told
[X]GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY HE'S GOT HIM IN THE SPINNING TOLD HOLD!

Back story: Glenn Beck recently addressed the new controversial angle of Jack Swagger and Zeb Coulter being these right wing extremists who hate immigrants. He, and many other conservatives, are angry at the fact that this negatively depicts conservatism. Glenn Beck referred to it as "stupid wrestling people." This was their response to Glenn Beck.

Kinda hard to watch that when they start talking about "Stealin' jerbs"

Oh, shit, just saw past minute 1, sorry about that  :D

Quote from: VectorM on February 22, 2013, 10:08:56 PM
Kinda hard to watch that when they start talking about "Stealin' jerbs"

Oh, shit, just saw past minute 1, sorry about that  :D

That's the best part about it. They start off completely in character to set up the whole scenario. Then when they're done, they cut the crap and get the real message out and like total professionals, completely transition back into character.

Quote from: D on February 22, 2013, 10:32:07 PM
That's the best part about it. They start off completely in character to set up the whole scenario. Then when they're done, they cut the crap and get the real message out and like total professionals, completely transition back into character.

well, what they did should be summed up in one word: win.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Ran in to this on Yahoo answers in response to a question about whether criminals register their guns.

QuoteCertainly! They also go to the police department and file the plans for their crime.

If the firearm they intend to use in committing their crime of choice is banned by the government they immediately turn that firearm in to the proper authorities.

They also make sure that they have all proper permits to carry their firearms in public.

And if you believe any of that you probably believe that I'm about to be named the Pope of Rome (I ain't even Catholic), while also being named Emperor of the State of New York for life.

February 24, 2013, 05:22:06 PM #2275 Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:27:30 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: tnu on February 24, 2013, 03:37:01 AM
Ran in to this on Yahoo answers in response to a question about whether criminals register their guns.

wait, someone seriously asked if criminals register their guns?

anyways, here's a favorite quote from Ancient China:

"There is lard in the cellar, well fed horses, yet there are starving and dying people in the wilderness. This is feeding men to the beasts!"

-Meng Zi.

(it's about the feudal lords of the time)
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]N4MZy2RMQQY[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

February 26, 2013, 10:32:33 PM #2277 Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:46:47 PM by Ibrahim90
That guy had some real balls:

[yt]EHHfCcoz_WU[/yt]

yes, this is Saudi Arabia: yes, this is a single protestor, and yes, he had the guts to do this publicly and openly. he's basically busting the balls of the government.

he's in jail now. goes without saying though.

EDIT: @ REHWR:

don't forget this gem:

[yt]H5-IGyGzNtg[/yt]

-Jesse Cox

QuoteIn these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution, with all its faults, — if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people, if well administered; and I believe, farther, that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other.
   ---   Benjamin Franklin  Speech to the Constitutional Convention (September 17, 1787); reported in James Madison, Journal of the Federal Convention, ed. E. H. Scott (1893), p. 742.

Unnervingly prescient. Even Franklin knew that a constitutional system would inevitably fail like all states that came before it.

Quote from: tnu on February 27, 2013, 10:24:43 AM
Unnervingly prescient. Even Franklin knew that a constitutional system would inevitably fail like all states that came before it.

Which one of the Founding Fathers made the remark about it being desirable to have a revolution about once a generation?