Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
God I love Penn. It's amazing how he manages to stay calm, rational, and polite through the whole thing while everybody else is shouting at eachother.

Quote from: D on December 21, 2012, 09:52:32 PM
And sadly this kind of mindless thought is becoming the norm. Ever since that stupid "Anarchist Soccer Mom" nonsense where she says, " I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me," people have been looking at autistic, and mostly those with asperger's syndrome as if they were monsters. Quite frankly, it is absolutely abhorrent.

Even ADHD is catching shit these days.
Some people hear I have it and act like I'm disabled.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

people want an easy out. They want something to blame that's easy to use force to "fix". TO justify using the hammer of government against others.

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 21, 2012, 09:49:06 PM
God, that one woman is the embodiment of evil. Autistics don't have empathy? They don't feel guilt? They don't have a conscience? Whatever lame-ass show that is, they need to do a better job of picking their hosts.

As I feared, all of this shit that always gets blamed on mentally illness/condition/whaterverthefuck is now making people fear groups of people that are, if not harmless, no more dangerous than any other "sane" person.

December 22, 2012, 09:33:35 AM #2179 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:36:51 AM by Lord T Hawkeye
[yt]sFMUeUErYVg[/yt]

Stef brings his expertise to the fold.

Interesting stat for those self righteous Brits.  Britain had a lower murder rate than the US BEFORE they banned guns.  They really seem to have a problem of comparing their attributes to the US rather than comparing it to their own past.  Most can't seem to even conceive that there was a time when they didn't have socialized healthcare.

Or how 9% of home invasions in the US occur while the person is home compared to a whopping 43% of home invasions in Britain.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Virgil0211 on May 11, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
D'awww. And here I was, hoping that some of my more scathing commentary would get chosen.

I just realized, I think I'm starting to sound like that food critic from Frasier.

And here's a quote from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

JAKE: Come on, Nog.
NOG: No.
JAKE: Why not?
NOG: It's my money, Jake. If you want to bid at the auction, use your own money.
JAKE: I'm human, I don't have any money.
NOG: It's not my fault that your species decided to abandon currency-based economics in favour of some philosophy of self-enhancement.
JAKE: Hey, watch it. There's nothing wrong with our philosophy. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.
NOG: What does that mean exactly?
JAKE: It means. It means we don't need money.
NOG: Well if you don't need money, then you certainly don't need mine.

I just saw this ep on Netflix (I've been rewatching the whole series) and it actually has a very good free market statement.

Jake wants to get a Willie Mays baseball card for his father (which is what he was wanting the money for; it was being auctioned at Quark's). They lose the bid, but make a deal with the winner of the bid to exchange the card for some scientific supplies. But since Jake wants it to be a surprise, he doesn't want to tell anyone what he needs them for, so Nog uses "incentive-based economics" (okay, ALL economics is incentive based, but we'll let that go).

They get one item from O'Brien in exchange for doing his work so he can go kayaking in the holosuite. They help Julian get his childhood teddy bear back from his ex-girlfriend. And so on. At the end of the episode, Captain Sisko remarks that, despite the perilous situation with The Dominion sill ongoing, people on the station seem to be happier, more relaxed, more at ease. During his speech, we have shots of Julian with his bear on his shelf, O'Brien coming out of the holosuite in kayaking gear, etc. Sisko may not know how everybody's lives has become so suddenly improved, but we do!

December 31, 2012, 10:31:40 AM #2183 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:31:38 AM by tnu
[yt]pdDCaGQAU9U[/yt]

It's an old video from Larken and Tessa Rose but it still resonates. Just the pwoer of how Tessa presents anarchism feels right.

[yt]a7qF0t_2xms[/yt]

This is old but it still resonates. Even after converting from minarchism to anarchism. THe difference between duress and consent is something that more people need to understand.

January 02, 2013, 04:11:41 AM #2184 Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:22:35 AM by VectorM
Quote from: MrBogosity on December 30, 2012, 06:07:46 PM
I just saw this ep on Netflix (I've been rewatching the whole series) and it actually has a very good free market statement.

Jake wants to get a Willie Mays baseball card for his father (which is what he was wanting the money for; it was being auctioned at Quark's). They lose the bid, but make a deal with the winner of the bid to exchange the card for some scientific supplies. But since Jake wants it to be a surprise, he doesn't want to tell anyone what he needs them for, so Nog uses "incentive-based economics" (okay, ALL economics is incentive based, but we'll let that go).

They get one item from O'Brien in exchange for doing his work so he can go kayaking in the holosuite. They help Julian get his childhood teddy bear back from his ex-girlfriend. And so on. At the end of the episode, Captain Sisko remarks that, despite the perilous situation with The Dominion sill ongoing, people on the station seem to be happier, more relaxed, more at ease. During his speech, we have shots of Julian with his bear on his shelf, O'Brien coming out of the holosuite in kayaking gear, etc. Sisko may not know how everybody's lives has become so suddenly improved, but we do!

Then again, that episode makes you question a lot of other stuff: how the hell do they pay at the bar, if they have no money? How does the Federation trade with anyone, if they have no money? I mean, we knew about this stuff before, but that episode really brought that issue to light.

Quote from: VectorM on January 02, 2013, 04:11:41 AMThen again, that episode makes you question a lot of other stuff: how the hell do they pay at bar, if they have no money?

We see the main characters use latinum at the bar. Where they get it from is anyone's guess.

QuoteHow deos the Federatino trade with anyone, if they have no money? I mean, we knew about this stuff before, but that episode really brought that issue to light.

There was one issue where Sisko billed Quark for some damage one of his deals caused to the station. Of course, they said nothing about how it was to be paid, who gets the money, or even why Quark should have to pay when they never charge anyone else.

It's hard to blame the DS9 writers, though. It was their predecessors who set up this moneyless society to begin with, so they had to work within the confines of the universe.

Quote from: VectorM on January 02, 2013, 09:36:40 AM
On that subject, the review of the episode: http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/ds9-in-the-cards-review-5603035

One of the commenters posted a quote from Ron Moore that, if genuine, confirms my suspicion: "By the time I joined TNG, Gene [Roddenberry] had decreed that money most emphatically did NOT exist in the Federation, nor did 'credits' and that was that. Personally, I've always felt this was a bunch of hooey, but it was one of the rules and that's that."

I was reading the Star Trek Wiki entry on money and found this gem from Picard in First Contact: "The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of Humanity." Um, just what does he think "the acquisition of wealth" MEANS? Wealth means bettering yourself and others. By definition, they're the same thing.

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 02, 2013, 11:59:24 AM
One of the commenters posted a quote from Ron Moore that, if genuine, confirms my suspicion: "By the time I joined TNG, Gene [Roddenberry] had decreed that money most emphatically did NOT exist in the Federation, nor did 'credits' and that was that. Personally, I've always felt this was a bunch of hooey, but it was one of the rules and that's that."

so how do they accommodate for a lack of infinite resources? if there is no means of exchange, and (AFAIK), no evidence of barter, of rationing, or any other institution or device, surely that must be an issue? I never once saw that actually addressed in Star Trek.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox