Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]oPn-vYH2eYc[/yt]

Quote from: D on December 02, 2012, 08:38:10 AM
[yt]oPn-vYH2eYc[/yt]

I loved his point about the Civil War. I've been saying that for years!

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 02, 2012, 09:01:42 AM
I loved his point about the Civil War. I've been saying that for years!

And the really stupid part is that the question of the legality of Succession was indeed resolved before the US Civil War...with it being entirely legal and there being no legal mechanism for the Federal Government to block it.

December 02, 2012, 12:36:21 PM #2137 Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:39:10 PM by MrBogosity
Quote from: evensgrey on December 02, 2012, 11:03:40 AM
And the really stupid part is that the question of the legality of Succession was indeed resolved before the US Civil War...with it being entirely legal and there being no legal mechanism for the Federal Government to block it.

Emphasized by the numerous secession debates that happened before then--New England after Jefferson was elected, the 1840s with the Tariffs of Abomination, and the anti-slavery secession movement of the north in the 1850s. Through it all, there were all sorts of people saying that we shouldn't secede, it's not a good idea, there are other options, etc., but I can't find ONE instance of ANYONE saying that states don't have the right to secede.

And then there's this from an 1848 address to Congress by Abraham Lincoln himself: "Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, most sacred right—a right which, we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit. More than this, a majority of any portion of such people may revolutionize, putting down a minority, intermingled with, or near about them, who may oppose their movement. Such minority, was precisely the case, of the tories of our own revolution. It is a quality of revolutions not to go by old lines, or old laws; but to break up both, and make new ones."

Bad audio aside, Schiff is on the money here (no pun intended.)

[yt]tj99yDMYmbg[/yt]

December 05, 2012, 12:40:29 PM #2141 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:45:12 PM by MrBogosity
Lots of people I want to show this to (starting at 7:17):

[yt]pvPO23_aW3g&start=437[/yt]

"It doesn't surprise me that somebody who is so muddled in their thinking, and is so afraid of the irrational, would give magic powers to words. Guess what? It's four letters, it's phonemes, they don't have any magical powers, it's a way of expressing an exclamation mark. You called, and then when things got to heated, you tried to do this, 'Well, it's all up to you guys, and if you reject him, that's your responsibility," etc., which is your way of giving up. All you wanted to do was call in, state your opinion, and move on. So when I asked, 'Why the fuck did you call?" I wasn't cursing you out. I was exclaiming that this is absurd for you to call in and do this—to call in and pretend like you're going to defend your beliefs, and then when they're challenged directly to a point that you can't defend them, you cry that your feelings got hurt because somebody used a word that was scary. It's no wonder that you are still stuck in this mindset of being afraid of fantasy if one little word sends you screaming off, "Ooh, the poor atheists, they're beating up on me and they're saying offensive things!" —Matt Dillahunty

"Swear" or "curse" words are just words, not magical incantations. I see statists resort to that same tactic every time.

[quote

"Swear" or "curse" words are just words, not magical incantations. I see statists resort to that same tactic every time.
[/quote]

Maybe they watched the curse words episode of South Park.

This was just too awesome to not post.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on December 05, 2012, 11:56:42 PM

This was just too awesome to not post.

God bless the spam! :P
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox