Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MrBogosity on July 29, 2012, 11:33:35 AM
"Liberty means transparency for the government and privacy for the individual. Tyranny means transparency for the individual and privacy for the government." --Me

(Well, I like it, anyways.)

Reminds me of the ad copy for "V for Vendetta":

People shouldn't be afraid of their governments.  Governments should be afraid of their people.

Of course, it always seems to me that the government in V for Vendetta was utterly terrified of the people, at least, if they ever woke up...

Quote from: evensgrey on July 29, 2012, 01:58:58 PMOf course, it always seems to me that the government in V for Vendetta was utterly terrified of the people, at least, if they ever woke up...

Every tyrant lives in fear of the day the people realize they're stronger than he is.

well, this favorite quote is from my mom, after a conversation we had:

me: "Mom, what would you say if I told you someone had nominated for the office of president of the United States, a Horse?" (I was alluding to Caligula's nomination of a horse for Consul-Incitatus)

Mom: "wouldn't be surprised"

me: "why wouldn't you  be surprised"

Mom: "because we already have had Horses' asses nominated for that, so it stands to reason that the whole horse would eventually get nominated".
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]OU-b5hDJpCo[/yt]

"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charlie Chaplin
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 02, 2012, 11:11:08 AM
Amazing, isn't it? Wherever you have athletics, bogosity isn't far behind.

The brand police business made the CBC Radio 1 morning talk show last week.  (I quite like that show.  It's the same one where the head of the biggest Federal civil servant's union got skewered for doing things like complaining that entire programs might be shut down in the current budget cuts, and some of the programs are over a hundred years old.)

August 02, 2012, 05:27:22 PM #1902 Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:30:59 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
From the following video, which is also a win: 

[yt]zd6SUts5Tgs[/yt]

"Anything other than immediate self defense is the initiation of force." -- 2:24 to 2:26

THANK YOU!  Or rather,  "Anything other than necessary self defense is the initiation of force."  But still very much win.  Something few people seem to know is that the "self defense" bit used by libertarians is used ONLY to differentiate between the initiation of force and defensive force.  None of this, "well he hit me, so I hit him back" retaliatory bullshit.  Retaliatory force IS initiation of force in the libertarian sense and even in the legal sense, IIRC.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 02, 2012, 05:27:22 PMRetaliatory force IS initiation of force in the libertarian sense and even in the legal sense, IIRC.

There are two things that make retributive force good in Libertarianism: one is where the use of force prevents further initiations, and the other is what helps make the victim whole again (and I mean REALLY, like forcing him to pay restitution, NOT by allowing the victim to press the button turning on the electric chair).

August 02, 2012, 06:03:26 PM #1904 Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:17:57 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 02, 2012, 05:53:03 PMThere are two things that make retributive force good in Libertarianism: one is where the use of force prevents further initiations, and the other is what helps make the victim whole again (and I mean REALLY, like forcing him to pay restitution, NOT by allowing the victim to press the button turning on the electric chair).

Speak for yourself, Shane. :P
I'm a libertarian--an anarcho capitalist--and I disagree on that one.

Those both sound like initiations of force.  The first one in particular has the problem you mention in this video of being too open ended, and the other one doesn't sound much better.

*EDIT* Though I see you used big "l" libertarianism there.  Hm.