Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 26, 2012, 04:52:53 PM #1860 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:56:50 PM by Ibrahim90
it's a comedy, but I think this scene pretty much sums up how the Federal government works: placing chickenshit things ahead of important ones.

[yt]Kj_ZHxEOuv0&feature=relmfu[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

July 27, 2012, 12:37:18 PM #1864 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:09:17 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Edit:  disturbing (but still win) picture put behind spoiler.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Touché, UK.  Touché.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on July 27, 2012, 11:57:50 AM

Is it wrong that I actually feel entitled to smugly say that they are indeed entitled assholes because I too went to college, got a degree, went through a bad bit there when two reasonably-paying jobs in a row offshored on me, and actually do the equivalent of flipping burgers?  You gotta do what you gotta do, assholes.  If flipping burgers is what makes sense (and it did, when expenses are taken into account, I ended up with more money in my pocket at the end of the week flipping burgers than doing the helpdesk job I was offered the same day) then that's what you do.

Quote from: evensgrey on July 27, 2012, 01:03:27 PM
Is it wrong that I actually feel entitled to smugly say that they are indeed entitled assholes because I too went to college, got a degree, went through a bad bit there when two reasonably-paying jobs in a row offshored on me, and actually do the equivalent of flipping burgers?  You gotta do what you gotta do, assholes.  If flipping burgers is what makes sense (and it did, when expenses are taken into account, I ended up with more money in my pocket at the end of the week flipping burgers than doing the helpdesk job I was offered the same day) then that's what you do.
His point still stands.  And yes, many people in colleges are entitled/arrogant pricks.  I'm still in college.  I should know.  Really, all the more reason to get gov't out of the way.

Well, despite the typo in the first line, it's still a win.

July 27, 2012, 01:27:12 PM #1868 Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:07:21 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Edit:  very tall picture put under spoiler.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Full. Of. WIN!

http://www.economicsjunkie.com/you-didnt-build-that/

QuoteIf you're a successful bureaucrat, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I lied better than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of lying politicians out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was an innovative entrepreneur somewhere whose tax payments funded your position. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody's money was taken at the threat of imprisonment and handed over to you and your cronies to pay for roads and bridges, regardless of whether they agreed to if, how, where, by whom, and at what price.

If you've got a high ranking position and a pretty office with a federal, state, or city flag in it — you didn't build that. Some homeowner's property tax, some businessman's corporate/payroll tax, or some wage earner's income tax money was used to fund it, somebody else made that happen.

The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Businesses and voluntary open source communities made the Internet useful, only to have bureaucrats utilize those services to enhance the efficiency of their spying, looting and propaganda, and to support the entire edifice of an ever more growing, bloated, and intrusive police state.

The point is, is that when we bureaucrats succeed, we succeed on the backs of hard working individuals, entrepreneurs, and future generations who weren't even given the illusion of a choice in this matter.

Fucking Win!

This

QuoteEconomic nationalism is as morally outrageous as racism. Buying on the basis of nationality or race is the same collectivist evil: judging men and their products by the group from which they come, not by merit.

Quote from: D on July 27, 2012, 05:10:04 PM
This

Economic nationalism may be worse than some other forms of collectivism.

Recall the very true quote:  Where trade crosses borders, armies don't.

EVERY would-be imperialist expansionist starts with trying to economically isolate the state they control from the state(s) they wish to conquer.  Why?  Because you can't afford a war with any state your state is economically dependent on.

This is why war between China and Taiwan is conceivable, but US intervention in such a war is difficult to either do or not do.  (China, incidentally, could destroy Taiwan, but not capture it.  They just don't have the sea lift capability to put soldiers on Taiwan faster than the Taiwanese military could kill them.)