Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ibrahim90 on July 03, 2012, 05:25:15 PM
Gary Johnson climbed Everest? for real?

Yep, with a broken leg!

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 03, 2012, 06:47:06 PM
Yep, with a broken leg!

I'd be skeptical about the broken leg part, if I didn't know about the hockey player who played in a playoff game with a broken leg.

Yep, with a broken leg!

I take he didn't start out with that?

"The state is the name of the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly it tells lies too; and this lie crawls from its mouth: 'I, the state, am the people.'" —Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 05, 2012, 01:13:47 PM
"The state is the name of the coldest of all cold monsters. Coldly it tells lies too; and this lie crawls from its mouth: 'I, the state, am the people.'" —Friedrich Nietzsche

And to think how many people can't tell Friedrich Nietzche's work from that of his sister Elizabeth.  (Yes, yes, I know she deliberately conflated her work with his, but it shouldn't fool people when her work is so often the polar opposite of his.)

[yt]YJf2p2zqIb4[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Yep, with a broken leg!

Gary Johnson also fell 50 feet and broke bones in his back, ribs, and knee. He used Marijuana as part of his pain management regimen and now fights for legalization. Contrast that with all the Presidents who used drugs and still do their best to lock more people up.

It's funny that we know for a fact that every President for the past twenty years used drugs illegally, but we still keep it illegal.

[yt]3WnS96NVlMI[/yt]

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on July 06, 2012, 12:50:55 AM
[yt]YJf2p2zqIb4[/yt]

Wow, has THAT ever picked up some Fail Quotes fodder in the comments.

There's a guy who STARTS with the prattle about how native peoples in the New World used to 'live in harmony with nature'.

That's an endearing image, but it only appeared that way after our ancestors accidentally killed about 95% of them with new diseases that hadn't experienced before.  Not only were they as destructive to the environment as every other culture at a similar tech level, there's a reason why the terms nearly every cultural group used for adjacent groups of dissimilar culture translates as 'enemy'.

Quote from: evensgrey on July 07, 2012, 03:46:30 AMThat's an endearing image, but it only appeared that way after our ancestors accidentally killed about 95% of them with new diseases that hadn't experienced before.

Actually most of them died off of disease before our ancestors got there. The reasons why the Vikings never colonized America is because there was a smegload of natives there ready to kick their asses all the way back to Greenland.

QuoteNot only were they as destructive to the environment as every other culture at a similar tech level, there's a reason why the terms nearly every cultural group used for adjacent groups of dissimilar culture translates as 'enemy'.

Let's not forget: it was the natives that hunted the North American camels to extinction. That's why North America is the only continent (except for Antarctica) that doesn't have them.

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 07, 2012, 12:14:00 PM
Actually most of them died off of disease before our ancestors got there. The reasons why the Vikings never colonized America is because there was a smegload of natives there ready to kick their asses all the way back to Greenland.

Shane...

If there were no Europeans here yet...

Who brought the diseases?

All the accounts from Europeans from before about the late 1630's indicate a pretty dense population of native peoples throughout the more habitable regions of the Americas (even in the Amazon basin and deserts where there was a persistent water supply).  The main plague event in North America was 1638-9, which killed 90-95% of the native population.  When the Pilgrims showed up at Plymouth in 1640, Squanto was the only  native person around, and that was only because he'd only just got there himself (having spent the last several years trying to get home from being enslaved in Spain).

Quote from: evensgrey on July 07, 2012, 12:23:16 PMIf there were no Europeans here yet...

Who brought the diseases?

The same "people" who brought the bubonic plague to Europe?

QuoteThe main plague event in North America was 1638-9, which killed 90-95% of the native population.

That's what I'm talking about, but it had been going on for years before that, it just wasn't until then that it hit the east coast.

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 07, 2012, 01:15:05 PM
The same "people" who brought the bubonic plague to Europe?

Intergalactic Insurance Salesmen?