Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
@Shane & Ibrahim90:  So we're up to 7, up from 5 additional reasons to abolish government "education".
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 16, 2012, 10:49:07 PM
@Shane & Ibrahim90:  So we're up to 7, up from 5 additional reasons to abolish government "education".

I should have made this clear: the high-school was a private one, and it had little to no government backing (they were required to give Islamic classes, and evolution was banned--though the former wasn't forced down non-Muslims, and the latter was ignored in part). I suspect the only reason that fellow was retained was simply due to a lack of effective substitutes--it's hard to get good chemistry teachers in Kuwait (my school was the best private science-oriented high school). And as much of an ass as he was, few who survived him disputed the fact that they potentially learned more under him than they would have under most other chemistry teachers in other high-schools.

having said that: Public schools are WAY worse in Kuwait. the only reason I never went there was simply because I do not have Kuwaiti citizenship--and thank God for it. It's a fact that going to a private school had left me several steps ahead of people here in America--when I came here as a high school senior, I knew more than most Americans would know when they are well past senior year. And since having balls is a requirement to do well in an Arab school, I wasn't afraid to make that part known. It, along with some other things, was one reason I never got along with the locals. People always find me blunt, vulgar, and very domineering, which is funny, because in Kuwait the other students always thought I was quiet, softspoken, and being younger than them, a little more childish, even prudish (I was 1-3 years younger than most other students). mind you, I don't really say anything I wouldn't say to an Arab. My own dad still thinks that: he even broke the habit of talking to me in Arabic so he could call me a mother's boy XD

either way, this actually happened, and he obviously wasn't the only example. I could talk about the guy who used collective punishment, or the other guy who would randomly cuss for no reason.

QuoteThe more you know!  Hm..I don't usually think "manly" when thinking about arabs, but then foreign (or even local) cultures aren't really my bag.

that's always what I'm curious about: what non Arabs think about Arabs. so how "manly" are Arabs perceived to be? and why?
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 17, 2012, 01:57:55 AM

that's always what I'm curious about: what non Arabs think about Arabs. so how "manly" are Arabs perceived to be? and why?

I met a fairly highly-placed Saudi once (I was told his father was a Prince).  He came off (to me, at least) as oily, shallow, vain, and more than a bit stupid.

Now, I'm left-handed, and I met him at dinner (eating with the left hand is a BIG no-no in most Muslim cultures) and I was restraining myself from leaping over the table and beating him senseless over something he'd done to a friend of mine the day before, but he didn't manage to come off at all well.  (Unlike most young Saudi men, he actually had a job.  A government job, of course, given his social class.  He was either in PR or Intelligence, we never found out which, we only knew his job involved reading foreign newspapers.)

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 17, 2012, 01:57:55 AMthat's always what I'm curious about: what non Arabs think about Arabs. so how "manly" are Arabs perceived to be? and why?

I've met a few Arabs before. They were just guys. I don't really know what to "think" of Arabs. They're people.

About time someone did this:

Quote from: evensgrey on June 17, 2012, 07:14:42 AM
I met a fairly highly-placed Saudi once (I was told his father was a Prince).  He came off (to me, at least) as oily, shallow, vain, and more than a bit stupid.

that'll do it.

@ Shane: it's more a question to surhot: I just wanted to know what that was about--I was curious ;)

as to the Internet Tax: I think that IE in general should be taxed in general.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 17, 2012, 08:47:56 PM
that'll do it.

@ Shane: it's more a question to surhot: I just wanted to know what that was about--I was curious ;)

as to the Internet Tax: I think that IE in general should be taxed in general.

Eh, Shane pretty much answered the question in a way I would have so I didn't feel a need to reply.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

ah, OK  :)

in other news, I found this awesome picture: It may be from the 1800's, but I feel it expresses my feelings about today's politicians very well:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

-Jesse Cox

Greatest rip on the argument from incredulity.

Quote from: Goaticus on June 18, 2012, 07:39:14 AM
Greatest rip on the argument from incredulity.

Damnit, Goaticus! Now I'm hungry for bread. :P

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on June 18, 2012, 08:32:46 AM
Damnit, Goaticus! Now I'm hungry for bread. :P

I am too.......especially since my stupid diet doesn't allow me to have any.

[yt]EEs2PHfKVyM[/yt]

And while I'm at it:

[yt]V7UVQ9KRxew[/yt]