Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

...I can't top that.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on March 05, 2012, 01:24:11 PM

...I can't top that.

Too bad there's no indication that he believes a word of it.

Quote from: evensgrey on March 05, 2012, 02:55:06 PM
Too bad there's no indication that he believes a word of it.

I think he was referring to the @ginamarie quote beneath Santorum's quote.

Robert Bolt, Man for All Seasons

—
    Margaret: "Father, the man is bad."
    More: "There's no law against that."
    Roper: "There is a law against it. God's law."
    More: "Then God can arrest him."
    Roper: "Sophistication upon sophistication!"
    More: "No. Sheer simplicity. The law, Roper, the law. I know what's legal, but I don't always know what's right. And I'm sticking with what's legal.
    Roper: "Then you set man's law against God's?"
    More: "No. Far below. But let me draw your attention to a fact. I am not God. The currents and eddies of right and wrong, which you find such plain sailing, I can't navigate. I'm no voyager. But in the thickets of the law, there I am a forester. I doubt if there's a man alive who could follow me there, thank God."
    Alice: "While you talk, he is gone."
    More: "And go he should, if he was the Devil himself, until he broke the law."
    Roper: "So now you'd give the Devil the benefit of law!"
    More: "Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get to the Devil?"
    Roper: "I'd cut down every law in England to do that!"
    More: "Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you -- where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat. This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast -- man's laws, not God's -- and if you cut them down -- and you're just the man to do it -- do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake."

March 06, 2012, 02:25:07 AM #1415 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:42:27 AM by Ibrahim90
hell, the almost whole play where More is (and the movie) are a favorite quotes material.

my favorite line ( in the movie) comes from an interrogation (it's the punchline at the end):

More: but why I will not, Master Secretary, you will not trick out of me.

Cromwell: I might get it out of you in other ways

More: you threaten like a Dockside bully

Cromwell: how should I threaten?

More: like a minister of state: with justice

Cromwell: Justice is what you are threatened with

More: then I am not threatened.

then there is this qyote from the trial (in reply to Cromwell--also from the movie):

More: "the world must construe my silence with its wits, but this court must construe by the law".
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

QuoteBy the way, it would be great if foreigners didn't buy anything from us and just gave us cars, computers, televisions, clothing and other goods in exchange for slips of paper with pictures of past presidents such as George Washington, Andrew Jackson and Ulysses Grant. We could live the life of Riley. The world would bestow all manner of goods and services upon us, and all we'd have to do is have a few Americans employed printing dollars that foreigners would hold precious and keep.
http://lewrockwell.com/williams-w/w-williams115.html

[yt]ngpsJKQR_ZE[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]BNIgztvyU2U[/yt]

"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"
    ―Paarthurnax (from Skyrim)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"If the gold standard could be reintroduced...we all believe that the reform would promote trade and production like nothing else, and would stimulate international credit and transfer of capital to the places where they are most useful. One of the greatest elements of uncertainty would be suppressed."

(Gonna let you try and guess who said this.)

[spoiler]--John Maynard Keynes, Commercial Manchester Guardian, April 20, 1922[/spoiler]

March 11, 2012, 06:24:00 PM #1424 Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:31:40 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on March 11, 2012, 04:16:35 PM
"If the gold standard could be reintroduced...we all believe that the reform would promote trade and production like nothing else, and would stimulate international credit and transfer of capital to the places where they are most useful. One of the greatest elements of uncertainty would be suppressed."

(Gonna let you try and guess who said this.)

[spoiler]--John Maynard Keynes, Commercial Manchester Guardian, April 20, 1922[/spoiler]
Ben Bernanke! :D
*looks at the spoiler*
DAMNIT!  So close!