White House makes illegal threat on Photoshoppers

Started by MrBogosity, February 02, 2013, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 02, 2013, 07:20:23 PM Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:21:58 AM by MrBogosity
For those of you who haven't heard, the Obama Administration released this picture:

P080412PS-0464 by The White House, on Flickr

They included this warning:

QuoteThis official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

Here's the problem: 17 USC ยง 105 specifically places works of the US government in the public domain. The White House has NO authority to make this kind of restriction.

So, I made this:

Folks, let's show the White House they can't intimidate us, even in small ways. I made a transparent PNG (1024x764) for anyone to use and Photoshop to their wishes:

Have at it, folks! Feel free to post any Photoshops to this thread, or to the Bogosity Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MrBogosity

February 02, 2013, 09:27:16 PM #3 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:56:30 PM by Ibrahim90
I've got so many ideas in my head--some more messed up than others. well, time to crack open the GIMP.

EDIT: here's my first. As you can tell, I'm not the height of subtlety:

EDIT: and yes, I know the effect isn't perfect, but in my line of GIMP work, I've never really had to do this.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

here's another:

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox