Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Q:  What do you call a successful dieter?

A:  A bodybuilder.

--Me, inspired by Menno Henselmans.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

QuoteI sexually identify as a road and I demand that you respect my right to be funded by taxation.

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

August 13, 2015, 12:21:01 AM #4908 Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:25:14 AM by Travis Retriever
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."—Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted for fucking truth!  C'mon people! You can't use the money you'd save on a wasted gym membership on a smartphone with GPS so it can track your distance walked/ran/hiked/etc, Calories burned, etc?  Hell, mine came with an app that does that for free!

Quote from: Travis Retriever on August 13, 2015, 01:51:16 PM

Posted for fucking truth!  C'mon people! You can't use the money you'd save on a wasted gym membership on a smartphone with GPS so it can track your distance walked/ran/hiked/etc, Calories burned, etc?  Hell, mine came with an app that does that for free!

OK, so some people like walking in the air conditioned gym, instead of the random outside, why is that a problem?

Quote from: dallen68 on August 20, 2015, 05:00:10 AM
OK, so some people like walking in the air conditioned gym, instead of the random outside, why is that a problem?

MOST people who buy gym memberships never use them, or use them very little.  Given that all you need to do to walk is to go outside and do it, getting a gym membership you probably won't use to access a treadmill to walk on seems rather foolish.

Further, if the place is half a mile or so from your home and you jog there and back, you've just DONE your basic cardio without ever going inside.

What if it's raining? Or what if you're like me and have a bad knee and need an ellipsoid machine for cardio?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 20, 2015, 09:11:18 AM
What if it's raining? Or what if you're like me and have a bad knee and need an ellipsoid machine for cardio?

Rain rarely lasts long enough at a high enough intensity to be a serious impediment to a walk outside, between rain coats and umbrellas.  (Rain is more of a problem for joggers, as it's harder to jog while wearing a raincoat or carrying an umbrella.)  High winds, with or without rain, are more likely to be a problem for a walker, especially if it's cold.

As the specific example was using a treadmill, your second objection doesn't apply.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 20, 2015, 09:47:18 AM
Rain rarely lasts long enough at a high enough intensity to be a serious impediment to a walk outside,

Come to the Carolinas sometime!

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 20, 2015, 11:31:29 AM
Come to the Carolinas sometime!

I'd like to, actually.  The winter weather is a hell of a lot nicer than it is in the Ottawa Valley.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 20, 2015, 01:21:44 PM
I'd like to, actually.  The winter weather is a hell of a lot nicer than it is in the Ottawa Valley.

Yeah, but spring, late summer, and fall, it gets very schizophrenic. You have more polar weather; we have bi-polar weather.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 20, 2015, 01:34:38 PM
Yeah, but spring, late summer, and fall, it gets very schizophrenic. You have more polar weather; we have bi-polar weather.

Oh, we have that as well as the deep-freeze winters.  For instance, the temperature is supposed to go from about 30C to about 16C in the next six hours as the storm front goes through.  (We've been waiting for it for days, since this unseasonable late-summer head started up.  This is temperatures normal for July here, not August.)

Quote from: evensgrey on August 20, 2015, 03:34:58 PM
Oh, we have that as well as the deep-freeze winters.  For instance, the temperature is supposed to go from about 30C to about 16C in the next six hours as the storm front goes through.  (We've been waiting for it for days, since this unseasonable late-summer head started up.  This is temperatures normal for July here, not August.)

One April we had 6 inches of snow, and the next day it was 80F. People were going around in shorts and t-shirts with snow covering everything!