Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
sometimes, it's the writer too though: just look at Frank Miller's career.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 15, 2014, 11:15:37 AM
And people ask me why I don't send my comic to a publisher.  And have it get THAT kind of treatment?  Never!

Some are better than others. Top Cow, from what I've heard, is very good about giving writers freedom. Of course, it was founded by a disgruntled comic writer and a disgruntled comic artist...

[yt]w7Yfg1vLdVA[/yt]

Quote from: D on April 16, 2014, 01:12:38 PM
[yt]w7Yfg1vLdVA[/yt]

I've always said this: Turning a border fence into the Berlin Wall is as easy as telling the guards to turn around.

April 17, 2014, 11:10:07 AM #3905 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:09:10 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on April 16, 2014, 02:58:55 PM
I've always said this: Turning a border fence into the Berlin Wall is as easy as telling the guards to turn around.
True that.
"If you don't like it here you're free to leave!....except we will still grope you at the airport...and you don't go south to Mexico..."
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 17, 2014, 11:10:07 AM
True that.
"If you don't like it here you're free to leave!....except we will still grope you at the airport...and you don't go south to Mexico..."

Isn't the US Canadian Border even more porous than the US Mexico border?

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 17, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
Isn't the US Canadian Border even more porous than the US Mexico border?

Yeah, but there are hardly any brown people on the other side so who cares?

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 17, 2014, 12:47:59 PM
Yeah, but there are hardly any brown people on the other side so who cares?

One of the fun things about all these deportations of Mexicans is that it's ALSO taking jobs out of the US (and Canada, for that matter).

Call center operators are setting up shop in Mexican cities were substantial numbers of such deportees go so that they can take advantage of their English skills at Mexican wages and regulatory standards.  This is taking away from the pool of such jobs that used to get exported to Canada.  (I did that for about 9 years.  Much better than what I'm doing now.  It was indoors, sitting down, with no heavy lifting, and had better pay and benefits.  The only bad part was when I worked for Dell, possibly the most corrupt and incompetently managed company still afloat, although still falling further into the abyss that awaits any company which decides to pursue a new business model that consists of selling garbage to morons.)

Quote from: evensgrey on April 17, 2014, 02:00:37 PM
One of the fun things about all these deportations of Mexicans is that it's ALSO taking jobs out of the US (and Canada, for that matter).

Call center operators are setting up shop in Mexican cities were substantial numbers of such deportees go so that they can take advantage of their English skills at Mexican wages and regulatory standards.  This is taking away from the pool of such jobs that used to get exported to Canada.  (I did that for about 9 years.  Much better than what I'm doing now.  It was indoors, sitting down, with no heavy lifting, and had better pay and benefits.  The only bad part was when I worked for Dell, possibly the most corrupt and incompetently managed company still afloat, although still falling further into the abyss that awaits any company which decides to pursue a new business model that consists of selling garbage to morons.)

I've actually been more impressed with Dell in the past few years; the quality of their hardware seems to have risen dramatically.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-recent-trends-that-make-it-hard-to-trust-police-part-2/
The only fail I noticed was the word "recent" in the title.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 17, 2014, 02:26:03 PM
I've actually been more impressed with Dell in the past few years; the quality of their hardware seems to have risen dramatically.

Rather hard to do anything but get better.  Back when I was there, we had premium notebook computer with warping cases, and warping motherboards, and flaky Bluetooth that couldn't reliably connect up the detachable keyboard.  And that's only the stupidest problems with three models.

Quote from: evensgrey on April 18, 2014, 07:00:50 AM
Rather hard to do anything but get better.  Back when I was there, we had premium notebook computer with warping cases, and warping motherboards, and flaky Bluetooth that couldn't reliably connect up the detachable keyboard.  And that's only the stupidest problems with three models.

At least they weren't Packard-Bell bad...

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 18, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
At least they weren't Packard-Bell bad...

The worst thing about Packard-Bells was their non-standard parts.  Dells are famous for having a lot of those, too, especially for having a completely different meaning for BTX motherboards, which includes power supplies with non-standard motherboard connectors.  Oh, and it put the power supply on the BOTTOM of the case, where heat could come up into the main chassis space and not get pulled out by the PSU fans, and put the opening panel on the opposite side of the case from everyone else.

Oh, then there was the top-of-the-line desktop case that was not only designed to not open like a proper case, when you did open it it pulled the hard drive cables just enough to disconnect from the pins, but not enough to actually be visibly loose.  The replacement model didn't do that, but did need new logic in the dispatch system to tell the service provider when OSHA regs required them to send two techs to fix it (since it could be configured to over 50 lbs, which means regs call for two people to lift it), BUT there was no more money for the warranty when it was a two-person job than a single person job.

When I was there, Del was systematically replacing their mid-level execs with people with no experience on a regular basis, because they could be paid less.  They had this delusion that you could reduce costs by pressuring every unit to cut their own costs as much as possible, not understanding that cheap parts makes manufacturing cheaper, but warranty support more expensive.  When they cleared out of my city, the place the work went to had the primary goal of sending out a minimum dollar value of replacement parts.