Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]VIMnIh10po0[/yt]

Quoted for Truth.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 10, 2014, 10:50:49 AM

Quoted for Truth.

That picture would also work for the anti-war Left, before and after Obama.

"It never ceases to amaze me how intelligent people can show such disdain for correction. It is astounding how the mind can pull off psychological gymnastics that allow us to believe what we say without any sense of accounting for it."

(From the documentary I'm working on, the one I went to shoot the other week.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 10, 2014, 11:41:44 AM
That picture would also work for the anti-war Left, before and after Obama.
Indeed. :)

Also from the documentary: "We have become a society of spin doctors who manipulate language anytime it suits our needs. Nowadays you can agree to disagree about subject matter that you know absolutely nothing about. Being smoothly smug is now considered civil--never mind the notion of genuine courtesy that comes with the willingness to be wrong. We begin and end our discussions believing that we're right--shunning the discipline it takes to be CORRECT."

I think you guys are gonna LOVE it!

April 10, 2014, 01:23:26 PM #3877 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:35:15 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on April 10, 2014, 01:13:39 PM
Also from the documentary: "We have become a society of spin doctors who manipulate language anytime it suits our needs. Nowadays you can agree to disagree about subject matter that you know absolutely nothing about. Being smoothly smug is now considered civil--never mind the notion of genuine courtesy that comes with the willingness to be wrong. We begin and end our discussions believing that we're right--shunning the discipline it takes to be CORRECT."

I think you guys are gonna LOVE it!
I know I am. :D Finally, a documentary that doesn't have its head up its ass like these six:  http://www.cracked.com/article_20585_6-famous-documentaries-that-were-shockingly-full-crap.html
Kind of a shame that charter schools are even worse than public schools, but if the free market in education before the government started shoe-horning itself in during the very end of the 19th century was any indicator (back when the country had a world class educational system), I suspect that's not the whole story.

And yeah, SO glad to see you call out the whining we get from statists and from the religious of, "WAAAAAHHH! WHY CAN'T YOU BE CIVIL/NICE/STOP BEING MEANIE HEADS!!"  Between that and the claims of us "lacking empathy" as men from feminists/SJWs I think someone needs to introduce them to dictionary.com.  I mean, good lord. "Civil/Civility" and "empathy" are two of the most devalued/misused non-political words there are.

[yt]EsTpD3CtDVc[/yt]
Oh wow...

https://mises.org/daily/5099
I actually downloaded the video he's talking about.  I have it in a folder titled, "So bad they're good." True fact. 

http://bastiat.mises.org/2012/12/hayek-social-justice-is-a-meaningless-conception/
Well said, F.A. Hayek. :)

Also, I checked, and apparently...Social Justice Day (Yes, this is a thing) is on my birthday, Febraury, 20th.  Fucking hell. T_T  That is an insult to me and others born on that day if ever there was one.

http://www.christophercantwell.com/2014/04/02/anarcho-capitalism-storm-clouds-gathering-wrong/

Love it, except when he dismisses molyneux's insights on peaceful parenting, even though the studies show that children who are spanked more tend to have lower IQs and be more aggressive. You can't argue with science Chris.
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: AnCapBrony on April 10, 2014, 09:42:21 PM
http://www.christophercantwell.com/2014/04/02/anarcho-capitalism-storm-clouds-gathering-wrong/

Love it, except when he dismisses molyneux's insights on peaceful parenting, even though the studies show that children who are spanked more tend to have lower IQs and be more aggressive. You can't argue with science Chris.
Indeed.  And let's be honest here, it's better to focus on what you CAN control and change.  Like how you raise your kids.

Quote from: AnCapBrony on April 10, 2014, 09:42:21 PM

I'd be curious about the IQ of the parents in the studies, whether that was looked at. Hypothesis: Parents who have below average IQ scores should tend to find parenting especially challenging, and tend to spank more than more intelligent parents. They will also have a tendency for more aggressive behaviors in general, due to frustration. They will tend to pass the lower IQ, along with the frustration of having to struggle to meet basic challenges, along with the aggression that goes with said frustration, to their children. The spanking is just a symptom.

Quote from: dallen68 on April 10, 2014, 10:22:32 PM
I'd be curious about the IQ of the parents in the studies, whether that was looked at. Hypothesis: Parents who have below average IQ scores should tend to find parenting especially challenging, and tend to spank more than more intelligent parents. They will also have a tendency for more aggressive behaviors in general, due to frustration. They will tend to pass the lower IQ, along with the frustration of having to struggle to meet basic challenges, along with the aggression that goes with said frustration, to their children. The spanking is just a symptom.

And the cure is to try to teach peaceful parenting to these parents. I would look in stef's bomb in the brain videos to get a better idea of the subject.

[yt]_kTG2Lut6DQ[/yt]

if we were to do a community rp, i would be inclined to reccomend this game. That, or the radiance rpg with its virtues of simplicity and the core rulebook being free.