Podcast for 4-9-2012

Started by MrBogosity, April 08, 2012, 04:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
[mp3]https://bogosity.podbean.com/mf/web/6xendj/BogosityPodcast-2012-04-09.mp3[/mp3]

News of the Bogus:
Biggest Bogon Emitter: C0nc0rdance (nominated by Neil Purcell) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oygQVhu30s
Idiot Extraordinaire: NYC Department of Education http://io9.com/5896836/nyc-dept-of-education-wants-to-ban-the-word-dinosaur-from-standardized-tests

This Week's Quote: "Nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life, save only this, that if you work hard and intelligently you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education." —John Alexander Smith

I find myself wondering if C0nc0rdance has been using a Dickens Ploy:  Producing content of a particular sort to get an audience, then gradually switching to the topics he actually wants to talk about.

April 09, 2012, 11:18:00 AM #2 Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:38:29 AM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: evensgrey on April 08, 2012, 07:47:21 PM
I find myself wondering if C0nc0rdance has been using a Dickens Ploy:  Producing content of a particular sort to get an audience, then gradually switching to the topics he actually wants to talk about.

not that it matters to me; was never subbed to him. would have if he hadn't made some of his videos.

@Shane: nice touch with your descption of "Libertarian Muslims". (no, no sarcasm involved).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 09, 2012, 11:18:00 AM@Shane: nice touch with your descption of "Libertarian Muslims". (no, no sarcasm involved).

Thanks, but really, it's just that they exist. I've actually met several.

April 09, 2012, 05:00:37 PM #4 Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:03:27 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: MrBogosity on April 09, 2012, 12:31:56 PM
Thanks, but really, it's just that they exist. I've actually met several.

I ought to know :P

in any event: it's just annoying how some say being a Muslim is somehow antithetical to being a libertarian, or just being in favor of freedom.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 09, 2012, 05:00:37 PM
I ought to know :P

in any event: it's just annoying how some say being a Muslim is somehow antithetical to being a libertarian, or just being in favor of freedom.

Unfortunately, some of those who say such things also claim to be Muslims.

Quote from: evensgrey on April 09, 2012, 06:24:10 PM
Unfortunately, some of those who say such things also claim to be Muslims.

I was in part referring to them too.

-Jesse Cox

I remember a group of Libertarian Muslims in Ann Arbor. They called themselves Minaret of Freedom.

Ah Shane, I'm a little confused about a point you made in the podcast. You pointed out that in america, it is against the law to deny care or ambulatory services to people, and it sounds by implication that you support EMTALA, something regarded by others as an unfunded mandate.

Quote from: ebalosus on April 12, 2012, 09:04:01 PM
Ah Shane, I'm a little confused about a point you made in the podcast. You pointed out that in america, it is against the law to deny care or ambulatory services to people, and it sounds by implication that you support EMTALA, something regarded by others as an unfunded mandate.

I pointed it out because it's a fact. It's the situation in America. Descriptive, not prescriptive.