Podcast for 1-30-2012

Started by MrBogosity, January 29, 2012, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 29, 2012, 03:34:28 PM Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:56:04 PM by MrBogosity
[mp3]https://bogosity.podbean.com/mf/web/bpwi23/BogosityPodcast-2012-01-30.mp3[/mp3]

News of the Bogus:
Biggest Bogon Emitter: OK Sen. Ralph Shortey (nominated by Dave Turcotte) http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/01/oklahoma_goper_proposes_bill_to_outlaw_aborted_hum.php?ref=fpb

Idiot Extraordinaire: East Haven, CT Mayor Joseph Maturo (nominated by Dave Turcotte) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfeyg9G5Ov4
This Week’s Quote: “The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.” —Lord Acton

I think copied and pasted: "Supreme Court rules cops need warrant for GPS tracking" twice when you only meant to do it once.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

I still think Maturo was drunk in that interview.

Of course the Maturo supporters think that was just one hilarious joke and that people just make mistakes. Sorry, but when you're a public figure, the things you say are up for public scrutiny at ALL times, especially the incredibly idiotic!

Nice to know I support the Chinese community in my hometown several times a month.

I sometimes make a chicken curry with puri and papadams. Am I supporting the Indian community? Or, since I cook it myself, am I taking a job away from them?

Well shit, I'm practically my own UN since I've contributed quite a bit to many different cultures. They were quite delicious.

QuoteJudge: Americans can be forced to decrypt their laptops

Oh, this is disturbingly ironic. If you will allow me to relate you all a story: When I was at Polytech and studying an IT and infrastructural security paper, we had guest lecturers come in to talk to us. One of these lecturers was someone from the New Zealand Police's cybercrime division. When it came to question time, I asked him "What happens if in a crime you are investigating, one of the suspects has encrypted all of their digital storage? He said "There is nothing we can do legally to force them to decrypt their data. Thus, bad luck for us."

Isn't it strange that in a country without a legal and binding constitution guaranteeing our rights, we have more rights than a country which technically does guarantee peoples rights...

On the decrypting the laptop story: Blackburn used a false analogy comparing being forced to decrypt your laptop to having the phone company retrieve your phone records. To make the analogy work, YOU would have to retrieve said records and turn them over. OR...if there is enough probable cause to believe the laptop contains evidence of a crime, the police can get a warrant to have your ISP and the company that encrypted the laptop "render all reasonable assistance" in the execution of a lawful court order (which is how the law allowing the police to get your phone records reads) in decrypting the laptop-which you may have to surrender. This does not mean YOU have to decrypt anything. Just like you do not have to produce the gun used in the bank robbery if the police ask. It is their responsibility to show cause to think you had the gun; and to find it.

Actually, it would work if they would get a warrant saying WHAT SPECIFIC DOCUMENTS they wanted from the laptop--that would be consistent with the Fourth Amendment. You would then have to turn those documents over, whether you had to decrypt your hard drive to do it or not. But it wouldn't give government the ability to rummage through your hard drive looking for whatever.

Quote from: D on January 29, 2012, 05:08:24 PM
Well shit, I'm practically my own UN since I've contributed quite a bit to many different cultures. They were quite delicious.

Read that line back to yourself in the voice of Hannibal Lecter, and it gets a bit disturbing. :-P

Quote from: Virgil0211 on February 02, 2012, 11:35:37 PM
Read that line back to yourself in the voice of Hannibal Lecter, and it gets a bit disturbing. :-P

Just makes me want some fava beans and a nice chianti.