Errata / Mea Culpa / Other Latin Words

Started by MrBogosity, October 20, 2008, 04:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The whole idea of Bogosity is to counteract bad information, so the last thing I want to do is spread bad information myself. This thread is for the stuff I got wrong, which happens (if it didn't, I'd run for God).

Oh, and this is for stuff that actually is wrong, not right stuff that happens to contradict your pet theory or delusion.

Episode 5: I said that the chance of getting 5 particular cards in a particular order is 1 in 6.5 million. As FlashFizz pointed out in the comments, that's the odds for four cards. For five, it's actually 1 in 312 million, so if I'd done my math properly it would have made my point better. Sigh. He also points out that, if the order of the cards doesn't matter, it's 1 in 2.6 million of getting the five cards in any order.

He also pointed out that the second hand was slightly better because I'd already dealt out five cards, but obviously I was talking about the odds of getting either of them the first time, so that's a moot point.

Episode 9: I included a video getting on Jarrah White's case for thinking that 150% was double. I didn't realize that he'd made another video where he changed this after I got onto him about it the first time. It's not much of a correction, though, since he's still clinging to the 150%, his explanation (that he didn't realize that Vegas considered the source video at 100% no matter what) makes no sense, and he "corrected" it by changing his initial percentage, contradicting David Percy, with no support or reason.

So, what else have I managed to screw up?

You would make a great god. Better than the incumbent one.
Also, I'm learning Latin. Wish me luck.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 20, 2008, 06:46:19 PM
You would make a great god. Better than the incumbent one.
Also, I'm learning Latin. Wish me luck.

Good luck with that. I remember learning all of those wonderful scientific names in Zoology. Now they tell about 1/3 of what I learned has changed.

I remember a few of those great scientific term when I took anatomy. I remember very few of them now. And now my intro to new testament instructor is throwing Greek terms at us.
Warning: Student. What I say may set off bogon detectors!

In my opinion, all the great names of paleontology are the best example of confusing Greek and Latin names used in modern science to confuse people.

There are millions of creatures, and when they find a new one, they open a Latin dictionary at a random page, take the next best word and ad -saurus.

Tada, new creature name.

Quote from: chrisch on October 23, 2008, 09:17:12 PM
In my opinion, all the great names of paleontology are the best example of confusing Greek and Latin names used in modern science to confuse people.

There are millions of creatures, and when they find a new one, they open a Latin dictionary at a random page, take the next best word and ad -saurus.

Tada, new creature name.
Then one day they accidentally pick up a french dicitonary, and we get stuck with
Bonjourasaurus.

Quote from: Theta Omega on October 26, 2008, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: chrisch on October 23, 2008, 09:17:12 PM

Tada, new creature name.
Then one day they accidentally pick up a french dicitonary, and we get stuck with
Bonjourasaurus.

I'll try to remember that name.